Fade Out recording issue

I have a strange problem which I had not seen until C9.5.

I put a fade out at the end of a master audio file. The fade shows on the audio presentation and also plays perfectly in Cubase. However, when I put the file into Wavelab to burn to a CD the fade is not there! So the fade shows and plays in Cubase, but I guess is not actually written to the audio file. This did not happen in my previous versions of Cubase.

As a point of note, if I export that fade out file to a further audio file, the second file looks and sounds the same - however when this second file is put into Wavelab the fade out is there!

Any explanations? Has something changed which means I need to change the way I export?

How did you “put” that fade out there?

And how did you do the first export that you imported to wavelab that had no fade?

I did the fade out by drawing it in using the fade out tool in the Process section of the Sample Editor. The export was done by using Audio Mixdown in the File menu. In Wavelab I simply browsed for the correct audio file that is in the Cubase Project folder.

An audio mixdown should definitely include this fade. Are you absolutely sure you’re running the export properly or you’re not just opening the original file instead of the export in Wavelab?

The way I have described is exactly the same way I have been doing in Cubase for years. I checked again and I am using the correct file, the one that shows the fade in the waveform. You are right, it could have easily been that I was importing the wrong file into Wavelab, but that is not the case.

By the way, note the fade-out is done after audio mixdown. But I’ve always done that without this problem.Note if I do the fadeout, and then audio mixdown again, all is fine.

Struggling to follow exactly what you mean…you say this

I checked again and I am using the correct file, the one that shows the fade in the waveform

But if it shows the fade I don’t understand what is the problem…you said it didn’t have the fade?

And you say that you exported audio mixdown and AFTER you apply the fade (in Cubase) - So this obviously is not writing the fade to any file unless you run another export audio mixdown.

If I am understanding correctly, then behaviour is exactly as I would expect, just your expectation seems wrong.

The waveform in the project windows shows the fade and it plays it in Cubase. However, when that file is put into Wavelab there is no fade.

Re your second point, I have a master track. I open the waveform in Sample Editor, make the fade-out and then save the project. So surely that file (wav) that shows the fade that has been saved - which is the one I put into Wavelab - must have the fade…but it doesn’t.

Maybe I’m missing something somewhere, but this is the way I have always done it without this wierd problem. It would make sense if I was inadvertently using the wrong file, but I’m not!

Re your second point, I have a master track. I open the waveform in Sample Editor, make the fade-out and then save the project. So surely that file (wav) that shows the fade that has been saved

Nope…the original audio remains unchanged.
When you make the fade in audio editor I believe a new audio file is created in your edits folder and this is what Cubase references.

Yep, looking a it more closely, you are right - that audio has remained unchanged.

Thanks for clarifying that, much appreciated!