Faders pegging to +6 all on their own

I was working on a track this morning when the playback suddenly got loud. When I looked at the fader it had spiked to +6db! :astonished: I re-set it to -2db and continued to listen. When I stopped, went back to the top of the song, 12 bars in, it jumped back to +6 (WTH?!)!

THERE IS NO AUTOMATION ON THIS TRACK! It’s just the imported reference track. This is not the 1st time this has happened. Back in November, I had all of the drum tracks and vocal tracks spike to +6 repeatedly. It got so bad at one point, I started making screen shots just to remember the settings! Then, just as suddenly, it stopped doing that and returned to normal.

Is anyone else having this issue? How do you stop it?

Only jumps I’ve experienced have been with channels controlled by VCAs. But that bug was fixed at some point.

I would disable automation read globally in the automation panel and see if it happens anyway. If it doesn’t, then it seems automation is read even if it isn’t visible or even there. If it does, then I guess something else is the problem.

I have had cases where duplicating tracks solves issues. I can’t remember what cases it’s happened in Nuendo but it’s definitely helped in Pro Tools. It’s a ‘cheap’ fast way of checking for one more solution.

If all automation read is prohibited, and no other external controllers connected (!?) check if it happens at the same spot. If yes…possibility lies in that imported reference track.

sorry can be more help…

It DOES seem to spike at the same point in the song. I also have N7 connected to a 20 Fader Artist Series Controller setup. But there’s NO automation written as this is a new project. Do you think there’s some kind of “remnant” of automation left over from another project? How is that possible?

I JUST opened the project. All of the ref tracks had pegged, as did the drums (see screenshot) and most of the FX faders. I didn’t even hit play! It just opened like that. It did NOT look like this when I saved and closed the project yesterday. What is this? :confused:

I reset all the faders. I played the song through and watched the ref tracks, no spike. But when I hit return to zero, all of the afore mentioned tracks pegged to +6.

I turned the controllers off. I shut off all automation from the automation pane (see screenshot). As you can see, the problem persists.


Any other suggestions?

Just opened the project in N8. No fader pegging with or without automation suspending. What does this mean?

Any VCA channels?

Yes, but they AREN’T MOVING!

I would try to replicate your problem with the VCA channels deleted. I’m not saying that’s likely the problem, but since I know we’ve had similar symptoms with VCA channels earlier it’s probably a good idea to try without them…

So I’d try to reproduce your error first as the project currently is, like a couple of times, and then try it again without VCA channels in the project (i.e. delete them).

It is DEFINITELY A “RTZ” ISSUE!

Since I didn’t have the problem in N8.1, I was working on it there. But 8.1 isn’t completely set up, because I got fed up with the bugs and went back to 7.1. I got as far as I could go in 8 and was forced to go back to 7. This time it opened correctly. I cut a couple of tracks and as long as I DIDN’T RETURN TO ZERO, it worked just fine. The second I went back to the top of the song, I got the spike. My last save was as the 1st locate point after Zero. So, I closed the project and re-opened it. No problem. Something is going on right at the start of the song. But I can’t figure out what that is!

I just deleted all of the VCAs, didn’t make any difference. As soon as I hit RTZ, spike!

If you open up a version that works, and write automation at wherever the faders are at, on all channels, do you still have this problem? Or is the problem isolated to channels without any volume automation?

Nope, no problem at all. I just used a clean template to test this. I recorded a single channel and applied automation. Then I did it again applying automation to ALL TRACKS. I placed a bunch of locate points to bounce around the test environment. When I hit RTZ, no spike. So, I’m guessing I’ve got some kind of corruption in the file left over from whatever that thing was in November.

I’ve only recorded 2 tracks so far. But those tracks are based on a tempo map that took hours to create! I don’t know if I can import the “mapped reference tracks” into a fresh environment to, hopefully, start again without this irritant. Is that possible?

Well, I decided to just take “the hit” now!

I just built a fresh project with the tracks I’d already recorded. I imported the ref tracks and ran the Tempo Detector on them again. Since I’d just finished building it, I remembered most of the tweaks I’d needed from the “corrupted” version. I had to re-assign the locate points. But, all in all, it only cost me about an hour to rebuild the project and I feel a LOT safe moving forward with it.

I’m not having the fader spike issue any more. I’ve opened and closed the project and Nuendo 7 several times to test it. So, far, so good! Here’s hoping that’s an end to the drama on this project! :wink:

Thanks for your help! :sunglasses:

Just started working on the project this morning. No pegging. So, I guess I’m in the clear on this one. :wink: