Farewell my CD-R

It looks like the end of the road may be in sight for the beloved CD-R and other optical discs:
Sony Group to cut 250 jobs from recordable media business’ key hub

2 Likes

Hi @MrSoundman,

a very bad move, unforgivable.

Since this might also ruin M-Disc, the only affordable long-term archival media (as DVD and Blu-Ray). It has taken quite some time to establish itself, meanwhile most optical writer devices (by relevant manufacturers, like Pioneer, LG, Asus) feature that second (stronger) laser and understand the writing method.

Best,
Markus

1 Like

wow - the list of formerly important and since discontinued media standards and devices keeps growing.

There’s two ways of looking at it:

• the bad: a sense of loss of beloved history
  • the good (hopefully): living long enough to experience such a loss of history

I still have a couple of drawers filled with some legacy media - including blank 3.5" floppies and CD-R media.

And a USB attachable floppy disk drive and a USB attachable CD/DVD read/write drive.

Every once in a while these come in handy in the context of vintage musical gear and software. :nerd_face:

But quite a few other formats I had/used for a while have long been purged: Bernoulli disks, Zip disks, laser disks, Betamax, VHS, ADAT tapes, DAT tapes come to mind at the moment, but there were probably others.

Somwhat ironically, the old audiotape-backup method found on some vintage synths like my Juno 60 still works perfectly fine, since it encodes the patch information as audio - and these days you can still perfectly back up to and restore from a WAV file (or other non-lossy audio format) using a modern computer. Might even work with a mobile device, although I’ve never tried it that way.

1 Like

The electronics and entertainment conglomerate will also gradually cease production of optical disc storage media products, including Blu-ray discs, according to the sources.

Wait a minute. Does this mean that they are forcing film production companies to STOP producing Blu-ray discs? I hope I’m reading that wrong, because I can’t handle that. I know it sounds corny, but my life kind of depends on having my own physical library of the music, films and series that I love. On streaming services, you have no control over the content, how it is organized, or how long it is even available. No control at all. I could never leave it up to the eternal mess that is Spotify to organize and curate my music, any more than a film streaming service can replace my physical collection. Streaming is NOT a replacement for owning and curating your own media library! You’re right, @Markus_Leuthel – unforgivable is the right word.

2 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, the good old vinyl record should gain more popularity again, without music being streamed. :grinning:

At least here in Norway, vinyl has already had a huge revival movement for the last 10–15 years… Now the CD is gradually making a comeback too, although it is still kind of niche. I never gave up on CDs. I have an equal share of CDs and LPs and love them for different reasons. :cd:

My understanding is that “pressed” optical discs such as commercial CDs and Blu-Rays will continue to be manufactured, this announcement only affects recordable optical media.

Phew, I hope you’re right! Maybe it’s time to stack up a lifetime of CD-R’s then, so that I can still print my own… :sweat_smile: