Fastest way to make one PDF from one flow

Hello, I have a project with a lot of flows for a lot of players. If I want to print (or make a PDF) only of one or two flows for one or two players, wich would be the fastest way to do it?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hello,
probably the fastest way would be to [in Setup Mode] add a new layout, remove all flows from it, add the player, select the specific flow and export as PDF [in Print Mode].

It really depends on your workflow thus far.

If you’ve not touched Engrave mode at all, haven’t fiddled with Layout Options and have had the Set global properties switch set to Global throughout, creating a new custom layout may well be the quickest way.

If you have any doubt over any of the stuff above, skim through to identify the page range, then type the page range into the field in the right panel of Print mode and export your existing layout.

Thanks to both of you, the idea of making a new layout worked perfectly :slight_smile:
Thank you!

After 3 years of Dorico, I still don´t understand the idea of “flows”, I refuse to accept overcomplication.

“Flow” is an intentionally unspecific term; you can basically use flows as you see fit. Flows are usually described as discrete chunks of music: a hymn, a symphonic movement, a song, a technical exercise.

Pull any book of music off the shelf, and imagine typing it into the computer. Every time you encounter a final barline, start a new flow.

I don’t see how it is “over complication.” If you don’t have any projects that have multiple distinct sections of music (e.g. movements or hymns in a hymnal, songs in a show, or any of a million other use cases), then just use the one flow and don’t worry about it.

Beyond that, flows are also very useful for having several versions of a piece, maybe to try different voicings or variations of a motif. You can use flows as scratchpads for new ideas that you may flesh out later. I had a bunch of little songs voiced for a trio of trumpet, alto sax and tuba. I needed to use these songs with a quartet of trumpet, flute, trombone, and tuba. Flows were perfect for this, allowing me to keep the original trio and the re-arranged quartet in the same file.

There are many uses. But if you prefer not to go there, that’s fine. Just use the single flow and create separate Dorico files for anything others might use flows for.

3 Likes

“Flows are usually described as discrete chunks of music” (???)
Never mind, I like this, and thanks: “then just use the one flow and don’t worry about it.”

I like to think of it using design software idiom - it’s text flowing from one box to another. If you’ve used something like InDesign, you can link text frames together so that if you keep typing and run out of space, the text flows onto the next text frame.

A flow is just like a chunk of text, and the frames can be found and created on the layout page, allowing you lots of control over how or whether you display that text.

As Leo says though - you don’t need to know about these features to use InDesign as a word processor, but you may be fundamentally missing out…

(Side note - would love it if the analogy was complete and you could alter display properties independently for each flow e.g music font, stave size, colour, without using special frame breaks)

1 Like