Favorite National/Folk Song?

Hi all - since this is a global community I’m curious to know what your favorite national/folk song is? For example, songs that are strongly associated with your nationality like:

Waltzing Matilda (Australia)
Loch Lomond (Scotland)
Londonderry Air (Northern Ireland)

Thought this would be a fun topic while taking a break from work :slight_smile:

Aloha,

For me (being from Toronto), the old theme from:

‘Hockey Night in Canada’!

BTW,
all instrumental. No lyrics. Yeah!
{‘-’}

Yorkshire Anthem - Ilkla Moor Baht 'At - YouTube not a favorite, but about the only traditional one i can think of for round here .Do you know or have you heard this song.this is a modern take on it. :blush:

Stompin’ Tom Connors’ “Sudbury Saturday Night” or his “Bud The Spud”, or “The Good Old Hockey Game” and “Big Joe Mufferaw” are tunes that many Canadians are fond of, they embelish grass roots living, and the humour which we pride ourselves of. I’d also have to pick out Gordon Lightfoot, though hard to pin down just one song there either… He’s an icon for sure.

If you were to ask a bunch of Canadians this same question, you’d get some pretty varied answers. There is a massive French (Quebecois) variety of folk music too.

Many thanks for the replies and considered responses! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I enjoy learning the music as well as how they echo the culture from which they were born. It’s also interesting to see how much the music has in common thematically. I’m wearing out Youtube and Wikipedia as we speak…

I hope more members will chime in :slight_smile:

‘Whiskey in the Jar’ is one of my favourites. I also like the russian national anthem although not so fond of their politics…

I also love the welsh national anthem, my wife is a welsh wench, look out when she loses it :open_mouth: !

That’s good advice for all married men actually :laughing: :astonished: