[Feature request] AAF support for Cubase

As a matter of fact, an AAF kit is currently being developed for Reaper.
Concerning Logic or Live: I wouldn’t know, because I don’t want to have to use them.

Nevertheless, I of course appreciate the fact that a distinguished pillar of the Steinberg forum such as yourself is willing to bump this silly schoolboy topic. Wow! What an honor! :laughing:

Nice kitty cat avatar by the way. Over and out.

Thank you. It’s not a schoolboy topic but the absurd demands are.
All you have to be is realistic. Start telling the architect what’s wrong with the plans and he’ll tell the bricklayer to get lost. :mrgreen: Tell him you need one more brick and he’'ll just do it. Or design an airhole. :mrgreen:

That is absolutely not a true statement, apt… For one piece of functionality, this does not make it so. But AAF is so special that it alone makes it so? Mate, that may be the case for You, but not necessarily for others.

OP, Prefix the thread title with “[Feature Request]”, remove the question mark and let’s see what kind of response we can get. Asking a question and arguing with the answer in a demanding tone is not the way.

Any feature that makes Cubase a better product than the other applications is a +1 from me, so I am not writing this to argue. One has to understand however, that some features seem of less importance, with others.

Most of Nuendo’s features are already in Cubase, just hidden/turned off - multiple marker tracks, etc (edit mode probably as well, and AAF import hooks) - they are just hidden. This was plain to see when I opened a Nuendo 5 project in Cubase 6.5 recently and had all of my marker tracks (multiple video tracks as well if I recall correctly) - just not editable.

No, it isn’t difficult to add AAF import at all (among many other similar features - multi-mono conversion, edit mode, etc). But if you have been a Steinberg user as long as I have, you will know that they aren’t going to add features just because they are quietly posted on this forum by a couple of users. Similar requests have been made for years for both products (directly to reps and developers, not just the forums), and nothing has happened. Simplicity has nothing at all to do with it.

Sorry if I offended anyone or sounded demanding. I’m just trying to make a case for why I feel this feature should be implemented.

Why should you have offended anyone? It was just a simple request, well stated and the need for it well documented, as was the case for several prior requests of mine.
What I don’t get is why there can’t be a simple answer from Steinberg. After all, this forum is accessible through the “support” caption of their website.
And while it is nice to have seasoned users around who will help others out with acute issues (as I have done on several occasions), why must some of you poo-poo a perfectly reasonable request?
If Steiny’s going to poo-poo one of my issues, so be it - then I can at least consider appropriate action, such as find a workaround or get something else. But why should I do that to a fellow forum user, or accept such conduct from fellow users?

Well said Heiner.

Calling people a cheap bedroom producer or a self-indulgent Schoolkiddy doesn’t accomplish anything. I’m making a convincing argument about why AAF would keep Cubase competitive in the DAW marketplace. no need for name calling.

Conman asked why I need AAF, and it occurred to me that he honestly wants an answer? Its for film scoring and sound design. You deliver dozens of cues/stems so that they automatically line up with automation synced to picture. OMF by all accounts, sucks, (when it actually works). CB6.5 OMF export doesn’t support automation at all as far as I know. AAF supports stereo interleaved, automation, and goes into PT10 smoothly. It’s been hell transferring to other systems, and AAF would make things a heck of a lot easier.

Some more good reasons for AAF support

-it saves you from having to export stems manually to retain a fader move. Its wasted time and wasted hard drive space to re export stems.
-i think it facilitates transfer of tracks from one cubase project to another, once again, saving time and hard drive space.
-fader moves can be tweaked or repaired. If you do a complex automation or fade out and want to change it later its nearly impossible to correct on the dub stage. Having AAF means you are free to change automation later and dont remove information from the original file.
-all the other DAWs have AAF and steinberg could easily include it for cubase

Ohh yes - I see Nuendo has this feature - Cubase not - I need it now for a Production, but really - like writen before - I don’t want to pay so much to buy Nuendo for this feature - and I came over this thread - bought Logic Pro X - and now running my first Mixing Session in the new Logic - working fine - good workflow and 1/10 of the cost of Nuendo.

Does Logic X have this feature?

Steinberg has repeatedly answered the question, their AAF implementation is as close to standard as they can get, however there are undocumented variations in how other companies handle the standard (such as it is) and Steinberg cannot be asked to chase the various implementations due to costs as they would have to pay developers to be constantly reverse engineering other peoples undocumented format variations

If you want AAF/OMF conversion of files generated by random other software or hardware you are better off with buying a conversion program from an independent supplier that can justify the development costs of chasing down propriety variations that happen between manufacturers

Hello,

first let me explain my situation: I am a student of media arts. My main focus is on audio/music. So Cubase is a wonderful tool for most of my needs. Sometimes I do some audio editing things for the video guys at our university. OMF worked relatively fine so far, so I don’t need AAF support. But from my understanding it would be more comfortable (mono/stereo, automation…). Also there is the problem of the video guys using Final Cut X - which has no OMF export feature anymore (as far as I know). But if Apple is adding this feature again it wouldn’t be surprising when they just implement AAF because it’s more modern. Otherwise imagine a new DAW which supports VST 1.0 - doesn’t make much sense.
Of course we have a studio at the university with Nuendo running but lets be honest most students try to do their things with laptop and/or at home today. You can work more and more flexibel.
Nobody starts with the big stuff when you do the first steps in a new “industry” and for a student Nuendo has pretty high price. When you look at Gearslutz many audiopost-guys tell you the industry changes to new demands (“Wait you can mix too? - Well then do this additional! We don’t need a rerecording mixer”). It happens that students come to projects normally only full time pro’s (if you want them to call like this) should do. But the money…
Regarding the SSL Conversion software: look at Gearslutz - the reputation of this software cannot be any more worse. Just the existence of such software cannot be an argument. It must work.

So the FR isn’t a kick over the traces I think. Its not that we are asking for the ADR-Taker.
I even have a workaround idea:
Use the Nuendo demo for the importing. As I know Cubase can open Nuendo projects. So you download and install the Nuendo demo - you can try it 200 hours. Just import the AAF and save. (I have heard you can even make more than one marker tracks and they will be there when opened up in Cubase.) If the demo time runs out - just buy another Steinberg Key at the next music store for the next 200(?) hours. Much cheaper than Adobe cloud :wink:

With best regards

Hello -

I am looking at another program that exports in AAF format.

Does Cubase 6.5 or 7 have AAF yet, for importing?

If not, what are the workaround options?

Thanks -

Aatranslator for $199. I havent used it but its supposed to work and they will do a test transfer for you to evaluate the product.

Thanks, aptmusic9. A little expensive, might make me choose other programs that aren’t limited to AAF for exporting.

Appreciate the info!

The ghetto way is open the aaf on a nuendo demo and file save. Once its saved cubase can open the project. Alternatively if you have a friend with nuendo they could do it for you.

Just bumping this up. It’s been a solid 5 years now, so hopefully AAF support is going to be considered soon. I sorta feel like you guys are using AAF to push Nuendo sales, which isn’t all that inspiring. Logic Pro X is only 200 bucks. Pretty straightforward solution there.

Hello, I also think AAF is a basic nowadays
I always have to get that demo of Nuendo to open and save AAF. It is not annoying, it’s very bad to interact with protools users, which are not my enemies or anything…it should be them not being open…it used to be like that…now steinberg is not looking very good.
And I when I start considering the 1300 euros cross grade from cubase to nuendo… not only for this feature of course, I ALSO start considering the cross grade to pro tools…, not comparing but Im facing a lot of AAF and pro tools sharing projects and that feature would really wipe my doubts …

Thanks to all