Feature request: Arranger track like Cubase

The Cubase Arranger track is by no means perfect-it totally messes up correctly copying changing time signatures, but I know that the Dorico team could hit this out of the park.

In Dorico, it’s very time consuming when dealing with scores with constantly changing time signatures to do global rearranging of sections. The global insert doesn’t do well with pasting a new signature in where there was a different one before, etc. it would be wonderful if we could have a higher level Arranger (or maybe in the case of Dorico, a “Sections” track where you could use a pencil and freely select blocks of material and label them and build a whole timeline and then rearrange and copy/paste sections together. It’s a little difficult to describe, but those that know the Cubase arranger or the “global copy”/“paste at origin” functions would know what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

We are certainly interested in developing features to help with changes you want to make to your flows at a structural level. This is consistent with our aim to make Dorico an excellent environment to come up with and then develop ideas. But I can’t say for sure when we will be able to work on these kinds of features.

5 Likes

If one puts each section into a separate flow with zero gap between flows, the time signatures should move with each selection. The only drawback to using flows this way is for notes that one would like to tie between sections, and I do not see an easy way that could be overcome.

1 Like

I’m definitely not talking about flows. I’m talking about seamlessly copying and pasting within one flow. Creating seamless copy and paste within a single piece of music.

I know what you’re talking about; I’m talking about something that works in the meantime to preserve time signatures, etc.

1 Like

+1 - needed this today

1 Like

Yes, yes yes! I’ve been hanging out for a feature like this. If Dorico could do this, it would be unique amongst (non DAW) scoring software. Having this feature would facilitate creative restructuring, particularly for fleshing out ideas, versioning, and a place holder for experimentation.

1 Like