Feature Request for a "modal zone"

Dear Daniel and Golden Team,
This is a feature request from Thierry Ecuvillon, a fellow Dorician from the French FB group. I hope this will raise some interest, as I found this idea really nice…
He suggests that it would be a very good idea to introduce a kind of UI that would work like the different zones we can use (for chords, for %, etc.) Once the modal zone is defined, the user could choose which mode would apply there. We’re not really talking about transposition, but a slight modification of certain pitches, so that they match a certain mode, without changing the overall key. He thinks it would be extremely useful as a compositional tool.
BTW, Thierry has written a “Traité de musique modale”, it’s in French, and I’m almost certain the musical examples have been made in Dorico…
Thanks for you interest, and if you have any questions, I’ll transmit them!
Marc

7 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, Marc. This sounds a bit like conforming pitches to the chord track in Cubase. We may well have such features in Dorico in the future, though not soon.

What i think about, is a way to change the scale without a visual transposition. The solution i use at this time is to put for exemple 3 bemols at the bar , write music ans after erase the 3 Bemols to see them before notes. But if i want to test with 2 # i have to erase all flat , create a 2 sharp key and after erase the 2#. For test modal system, i am sure we can find a better solution

Super job !!! thank you :slight_smile:

map scale is super !!!.

i must be clear, I am really happy with this version 4 !

and specially with this map scale, so useful for me :slight_smile:

Regards, Thierry

1 Like

I think I have a handle on using most of the features in my workflow, now I’m wrapping my head around the Transform operations. So @EThierry this addresses your request? If you have other suggestions on using these new Transform tools I’d like to hear them.

The possibility of keeping the map scale windows open after validation could be useful for trying many scale step by step.
( and i think the possibility to choose generally, in préférence option, witch windows will be closed or still open after been used could be cool ).

A other possibility, a global track for map scale, for moving , copy, transform easeally the scale for all the orchestra, like the tempo track or marker track.

An other idea, is a transpose option in a global track, but it mean exception option for track who must be fixed (Drums, keyswitch,loop key )
After trying an transposition for all the score (+5, -12 ect…) an option to fixes it in score)
It can be useful for composer, and for singer on an existing music.

And an other domain, a tap tempo for recording , driving the orchestra as a conducteur

i suppose i could have a lot of new idea, but for this time, map scale make me an happy composer :slight_smile:

Well I was asking about compositional uses of the tool, not user interface suggestions :grin:

ok sorry, if you let me a mail, i can send to you a book i have writen for using the scale in modal .

1 Like

If steinberg want to use it for Dorico user, it is with pleasure, but the book is in french

Thanks but I don’t speak French :smile:

Balancier Modal sans texte.pdf (306.5 KB)

take a music in C-use the symetric system: if you want to have the 2d mode (Ré),
use the Bb scale. the mode on 4 (F) , use the G scale ECT…
if you are in an other scale of C all is transposed but keep the symetry system keeping the tone and semi tone space.
try, and sure you will be in love with you new music :slight_smile:

Bolero de Ravel.pdf (74.7 KB)
An exemple in C scale of using the modal symetric system

Hi, I’m just starting to learn Dorico 4, migrating from Sibelius. Some of what I write makes extensive use of what are sometimes called exotic scales - Persian, Hungarian, Double Harmonic for example. I’ve just educated myself about the Map Scale transformation and I have to say it is markedly inferior in a few respects to the equivalent operations in Sibelius.

The scales listed in the Map Scale dialog are well short of those available in Sibelius. That’s a bit unfortunate, but I find the clumsiness of the methodology for making custom scale transforms of greater concern. In Sibelius custom transforms are much easier to make because there’s a pitch list that allows one to simply select the pitches in the new target scale, AND transforms can be saved.

No doubt there are more advanced composers here who can easily figure out how to specify a target scale of, say, F Persian starting with the closest “standard” scale from the dropdown (perhaps in their heads), but that will be truly tedious for me. I’d be slightly less concerned if it was a once-and-done matter for a given scale, but the “destination scale overrides” can’t be saved.

Or am I missing something? If not, to the Dorico team - please consider this a feature request.

Now on to other raw newbie matters.

Welcome to the forum, @doccawudi. Are there scales other than the three you mention here that you would like to use? If so, let us know which ones.

Persian, Hungarian Minor, Hungarian Major, Double Harmonic, Enigmatic, Neapolitan, Prometheus; and, the pentatonic scales Indian, Pelog, Hirajoshi, and Kumoi [see Veryan Weston research: https://veryanweston.weebly.com/research.html].

While we’re at it, if the scale selection could be sticky that would be great, i.e. “make settings for Map Scale, use it and have the settings default to the previous ones upon return to Map Scale”.

1 Like

Thanks – I’ve made a note of this, and we’ll see about adding these in due course.

2 Likes

That’s great. Thanks, Daniel.