Feature Request for a "modal zone"

Dear Daniel and Golden Team,
This is a feature request from Thierry Ecuvillon, a fellow Dorician from the French FB group. I hope this will raise some interest, as I found this idea really nice…
He suggests that it would be a very good idea to introduce a kind of UI that would work like the different zones we can use (for chords, for %, etc.) Once the modal zone is defined, the user could choose which mode would apply there. We’re not really talking about transposition, but a slight modification of certain pitches, so that they match a certain mode, without changing the overall key. He thinks it would be extremely useful as a compositional tool.
BTW, Thierry has written a “Traité de musique modale”, it’s in French, and I’m almost certain the musical examples have been made in Dorico…
Thanks for you interest, and if you have any questions, I’ll transmit them!
Marc

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, Marc. This sounds a bit like conforming pitches to the chord track in Cubase. We may well have such features in Dorico in the future, though not soon.

What i think about, is a way to change the scale without a visual transposition. The solution i use at this time is to put for exemple 3 bemols at the bar , write music ans after erase the 3 Bemols to see them before notes. But if i want to test with 2 # i have to erase all flat , create a 2 sharp key and after erase the 2#. For test modal system, i am sure we can find a better solution