Feature request: Staff with one line for pitched instruments without XML hack

If it is any help, the score for Hamilton just uses x-noteheads on the fourth space up to indicate rhythmically spoken lyrics.

I find x-noteheads moving around on a regular staff are pretty good for indicating rough pitch contour. No accidentals, of course!

1 Like

x noteheads will be used for percussive sounds consistently. I think I will go for a Berio-Style 1-line variant: Berio Sequenza III - YouTube

Does anybody know Graphic for mac as an alternative to Illustrator in order to erase system lines to create 3 and 1 line systems like Luciano Berio (Importing from Dorico through PDF)
Illustrator is to expensive as I just need it for this work around.

For Mac.

Jesper

Or perhaps the free

2 Likes

Thanks, the free one does the job :blush:

Hello,

Is this still the best way to have 0-line staff and 1-line staff in Dorico? How about it in Dorico 5?

You can use the instrument editor to create 1-line pitched instruments if you wish, but not 0-line staves.

1 Like

For 0 line staff the xml hack seems still the best option, or if you have only a few bars erase them in the pdf print with Inkscape…

1 Like

Thank you!
0-line staff is useful for text and graphics. I can only hope that the development team plans to implement it in the near future.

Thank you!

I totally agree. I’m missing this option too. It would be great if it would be possible to create a blank text filed exactly fitting over a bar to write i.e. improvisational instructions instead of any music.

Yes, it should! Surely the background colour should also apply to 0-line staves!

4 posts were split to a new topic: Dorico beginner looking for help with jazz notation

Thank you very much. It works perfect.

Hello Ben,
I have added the doricolib file for the 0 and 1 line staves to the DefaultLibraryAdditions folder on my Mac (user library) but, upon launching Dorico (5.1.40), they do not show up (neither in the Custom nor in the Sketch category).
What may have gone wrong?

This is what I see, it seems that the doricolib file is recognised only as a “simple text” file, not as “document”.

Thank you

I think there have been some changes that may require updating the lib file. @FredGUnn has made a new one here:

Of course, you don’t need the 1-line staff lib anymore, because you can make it in the Instrument Editor.

SimpleText? That’s a blast from the past. I think that’s just something to do with metadata on your system.

3 Likes

Yes, this seems to work now.
Thank you very much!