Fermata on caesura

S. Karg-Elert (again);

Is this a native function in Dorico or should I create a Playing Technique?

Perhaps there is a more modern notation today?

(The left hand inverted seems misplaced.)

You canā€™t have two different holds and pauses at exactly the same rhythmic position, but even if you are able to input them at different rhythmic positions, there isnā€™t a native way of automatically positioning a fermata above a caesura, as far as I understand. (Does this simply mean a very long caesura? Perhaps using one of the alternative fermatas or caesuras could convey the same information?)

Otherwise, you could try editing the glyph for a caesura type you donā€™t use elsewhere in this project, and build in the fermata glyph. However, you wouldnā€™t be able to have the fermata appear both above and below the staff. If that flexibility is very important to you, youā€™ll probably need to use separate items and position them manually.

1 Like

Thanks for info. I think only the ā€œupā€-version is needed and I probably will modify a caesura I donā€™t use, or create a ā€œP.T.ā€. It is prob. better than 6 items to align in Engrave mode.
(I think fermata is generally used to ā€œsustainā€ various ā€˜thingsā€™ in music, although I have not seen this version many times. Fermata over a barline is common and might mean the same thing, but a barline has no time valueā€¦. Iā€™m not sure S. K-Eā€™s notation is the best. It is not very clear.

Thanks, yes Iā€™m familiar with fermatas in music notation, it was more a comment on pairing two different ways of saying a fairly similar thing (ā€œhold hereā€) together, when there are notations already for short/average/long fermatas, for example.

I think some ā€˜constellationsā€™ were just ā€˜homemadeā€™ notations in the 1800s with perhaps no general acceptance today. I will replicate it verbatim for now but perhaps replace it with something more modern (and better) later.

Edit: Not too bad;

(Is there not a rule that if caesura is at the end of a bar, then only a top one is needed? I think itā€™s somewhere in Gould.)

Karg-Elert died in 1933, so unlikely to have been concocting many homemade notations in the 1800s.

FWIW I find the fermata over a caesura perfectly clear.

Agree. And most organists (anyway) are hardly familiar with the more modern types of fermata present on Doricoā€™s paletteā€¦

Op. 33 was publ in 1905.

Good to hear that it is understood. I will keep it.

@fratveno: I agree.

If he did, he was literally ā€œahead of his time.ā€