Fermata, Pause, Hold Placement

No, there’s no good way around this, until we can provide greater control over fermatas in future, which we will do at some point.

Fair enough. I’m just glad that I wasn’t missing something obvious.

I have now managed to do the same as fkretlow with the file “fermata” that Daniel attached - if I move the g up and then down again I get the fermata above the top staff and below the bottom staff. When I first open it, it is not right.

In the file I am working on this does however not work. Have a look at the attached, modified version of the fermata file, and see if you can 1) force the stem down on the c after the barline, 2) get the fermatas above and below as desired.
fermata_2.zip (278 KB)

The (inelegant) workaround I have found is to create a staff text object consisting of a few spaces, adjust the font size to be tall enough to span the height of a fermata, and carefully position it over the fermata I want to hide. It’s an unsafe assumption on Dorico’s part that any cadenza bar is bound to include a fermata somewhere.

Going on an easier path here: create a fermata glyph in playing techniques, you’ll have to enter all fermatas manually. Useful in those situations Dorico does not handle yet.

Bonne idée! Je le ferai! :stuck_out_tongue:

MY idea, I believe :wink:

And certainly a good one, as usual!

I guess that will be the way for me to go as well. It seems that there is something not right with how Dorico handles fermatas with cross-staff notation (referring to my file a few posts up). Good that the playing techniques editor is there!

When I want to get rid of a fermata, I grab it in Engrave Mode and pull it outside the paper.

LAE, what exactly is it you can’t do? I hit M to move the g to the left-hand staff, then changed the direction of the stem in Engrave Mode. This is the result:
fermatas.png
Or do you want to do something else?

Thanks fkretlow, that’s exactly what I was trying to do, and now I finally managed! So the trick is to do it in engrave mode… never changed direction of stems in engrave mode before.

Thanks a lot!

I’ve been able to hide an unwanted fermata in an orchestra score by dragging it (Engrave mode) off the edge of the page. Still inelegant, but that fermata has stayed there for months now.