Fermata position

Please refer to the pic.

I would like to put the pauses on those last crotchet rests. Is it possible?

Blessings…
Capture.JPG

Hans,
I got this result …
Just select the top last quarter note rest and put the Fermata.
Nothing else !
P.-S. looks that the bottom one will need some adjustment !
Capture d'écran 2016-12-06 12.30.07.png
Also this…

Best

Since the fermata is applied to all instruments in Dorico, you have to be really careful to which note you apply it. And I find that the last one on which you want it to appear (i.e. the shortest value, here the quarter note rest) is the way to go.

Often, but not always. I imagine I am conducting the piece: where would I pause?

I guess you would pause on the first fermata appearing (BUT indicate for those who do have the fermata on a rest that they should stop playing)…

That’s incorrect. A conductor reads the fermata the same way Dorico inputs it: The last beat position is where you hold, not any previous fermatas on longer note values.

Unless a conductor wants to use the tied-over short note as a down beat to get the rhythm going again. Clarity (in a way that makes rehearsal time most efficient) is the most important factor to consider.

Thanks guys!

These questions are why (if at all possible) I put tied notes so that all pauses are written at the same rhythmic spot.

If two fermatas share the same quarter rest, they are not aligned vertically. Is this an intended behavior?

It looks as though the fermatas are aligned with the position that the stems of 1/4 notes in the two voices would occupy.
David

It looks like a little bug to me, presumably caused by the fact that there’s not really anything for the “down-stem” fermata to draw relative to, because its rest has been suppressed due to it being at the same position as the “up-stem” rest. I’ll make a note of this and we’ll try to improve it in future.

2 Likes

You can in the meantime correct the alignment by activating the Rest position property of both rests.
Alinear_fermatas

1 Like

Thanks rafaelv, it is a very handy temporary solution. :+1:

1 Like