Figured Bass does not want to show up over rest

Hello, a strange issue I have:

In my score I can’t get my Figured Bass number show up over (under) a rest, even when accessing the property panel: Hiding/Showing figured bass figures individually

The Number is hidden, but the flag is not set to Hidden. How can I make it visible?
In case there is something wrong with my setup, I’ll include the file here:

figured bass not showing up.dorico (385.8 KB)

Thank you for help.

See the last paragraph before the note here -

Figures appear as signposts if Dorico Pro either does not normally show them, such as third intervals, or cannot identify the bass note for them, such as on a rest.

However, there is a property “Show figured bass” that you can set for individually selected rests. I’ll make a note to make some more links between hiding/showing figures and when they’re automatically hidden on rests, and to add that property which I believe is missing from the manual!

If this 5,3 figure wasn’t on a rest, the other place to check would be in Engrave > Engraving Options > Figured Bass -

2 Likes

Thank you Lillie, and sorry, my fault, I did select the flag and not the rest!
May be, at this place the GUI is not quite as intuitive (at least when it comes to my way of accessing this problem: I see something is hidden - and I want to make the hidden element visible.) - as I had the same issue another time already. I had done the usual searches before posting, of course …

1 Like

In this case, because that property is missing from the manual, I’m not surprised your searches weren’t fruitful. Thanks for your question!

Lillie. Thanks. This one has been frustrating me as well. (I too have been trying to override the signpost!!)

It is not intuitive that a figured bass is a property of the note, since it can be entered once and appear on multiple staves. Yet, the hide/show figured bass property only appears in the properties panel if the selected note/rest already has a figured bass.

Is this what was intended?

2 Likes

k_b

I’m no expert on figured bass, but you could enter “5, 4->3, r=n” where your current 54 is and that would resolve the suspension across the barline

Figured bass isn’t a property of a note: it’s a separate item that lives (by default) in the global stream, so that it can be shown on any instrument without requiring to be reinput. The properties for figured bass appear when you have either the figure itself or its signpost selected; the exception is for a rest on which you want the figured bass to appear, and that property does indeed belong to the rest itself.

2 Likes

In many cases selecting the rest that has a (hidden) figured bass figure (quite common) I can select showing figured bass but in some cases not. When I copy a rest with a figure earlier in the flow where it works than I can put figures and make them show up. So there seems to be a little bit of tweaking necessary I think with all respect.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 12.00.51 PM
This solution doesn’t work for me because this figure doesn’t appear on a rest. How can I get this figure to show up “in the wilderness” under an empty bar with a bar rest?

1 Like

That’s a trickier one. You could add a note in an additional voice, then hide it by setting the Hide notehead and Hide stem properties in Engrave mode?

1 Like

Ooooo good idea, now that we can hide noteheads that makes this sort of thing much easier. A semantic solution would be preferred of course, but this will definitely work.

1 Like

You can put it on any note just before or after and move it wherever you want in Engrave mode.

Und was? was soll dasselbe seyn ?
What happens, if you input the figured bass in the system above and move it down to the lower system? (I am not at my computer, so I easily might be wrong…)

Bringing this back up because this solution is not working for my particular case at the moment. I’m preparing a worksheet for students, which I would ordinarily do using the hidden voice workaround that @dspreadbury mentions here, but in this particular case, I want them to complete the assignment in Dorico. Because I’m giving them the Dorico file, I don’t want to confuse them with a hidden voice like that. I know this is probably not resolvable here, but I was hoping to advocate for a property toggle or something to show figures under rests, as I believe this is a use case that Dorico should support.