FILE BROWSER FILE INFO - Request

I think this has been brought up before . . I did a search and didn’t find info…
Is there a way to see the full file (wav) info in the “file browser” or in the “insert audio file” dialog?
I know there’s a mouse over pop up that displays info… But it would be great if I have that info in the list view in the file browser… Right now we have: Size,Type,Date modified. It would really help to have “Sample rate” “word length”
in the list.

cheers

Yes, +1 here!

Especially since Win 7 doesn’t indicate it anymore - even at right clicking it only gives bitrate, which is pretty useless…

Luck, Arjan

That would require analysing each file, and would slow down the browser very sensibly.

Ok. I see your point. If you have a folder with tons of sound fx, yes, it would slow the list view down…

How about just on the “open wav” or “insert audio file” dialog?
It would definitely be a lot faster than closing wavelab, opening another program to scroll though the files to check… go back to wavelab… or at least display this info in the Batch processor.

Sometimes clients send me mixed samplerate files and I have to evaluate if I upsample everything to 96k or if for example all files are 48k and 1 is 44k, I would do the montage session at 48k and do the 1 44k separately.
I try to not mess with the original audio if possible.

How about just on the “open wav” or “insert audio file” dialog?
It would definitely be a lot faster than closing wavelab, opening another program to scroll though the files to check… go back to wavelab…

What do you mean? Closing WaveLab for what?

For me, if only the info would be given on a file that is highlighted (clicked on) in the browser would be OK, or when hovering over its name.

Luck, Arjan

Well, say I have a folder with 15 wavs which have mixed samplerates, I want to quickly “down arrow” through them and sort them by samplerate. Then I decide if I upsample the whole project to 96k or if I should stay with the majority one.

I close wavelab (only if mixed samplerates) and open a simple player that displays all the file’s info including metadata in a playlist. (foobar2000)
It permits me to scroll though a lot of files quickly and audition them through an asio driver.

+1

For me, if only the info would be given on a file that is highlighted (clicked on) in the browser would be OK, or when hovering over its name.

You have this in WaveLab 7.1: leaves the mouse over a file name in the file browser.

I agree this kind of functionality would be great in WL7.

Currently I use Audio Finder from Iced Audio for exactly these issues. It lets me just look at the contents of any folder and see all of the audio settings ie: file type, sample rate, bit depth etc.

It would be nice if similar functionality was included in the WL 7 import process.

In that case it is broken, cause I needed the functionality yesterday and didn’t see samplerate/bitdepth. I’ll test some more to confirm…

Luck, Arjan

select a audio file “highlight it” a yellow popup message box will now show
if many files go with down/up arrow key and switch between audio files info

regards S-EH

Here it works (I am still on XP): Highlightening a file in the file browser by clicking on it (left or right click work both) opens a little box for about a second showing file type, length, bit depth and sample rate.

Actually, I could maintain a cache to hold all the necessary info (so as to be fast).
Not a small work, though. I note the idea anyway.

I’ve been trying it, and yes it works. It gives you sample rate and word length.
I’ll adapt to using the file browser instead of the open or insert audio dialog.
To be honest, I never used the file browser since you had all that info in the open/insert dialog window in WL6.
Usually I would position the cursor at the desired time in the montage–>right click–>insert audio file.
I know it must be difficult for PG to please every user request since everybody has a different way of working, specially with the amount of features this program has.

Regards

Yes, that indeed seems to work, but I find the yellow popup very clunky. First of all, it’s only there for a very short time, and then if you want to see it again, hovering is not enough, but another file has to be clicked and then the original again.

PG, can this be changed to just show the info for the selected file in the lower part of the browser window? For the long run, a cache with direct info would be perfect. And for me, having this info is essential, so I’d accept having a longer indexing time for opening a directory.

Luck, Arjan