File locations... a mess?

Once again I seem to have lost presets… this time Reverence under Cubase 5.5.3. They still appear to be present under C6. I can locate the presets manually outside of Cubase but a media-bay rescan unfortunately doesn’t find them.
They seem to exist in two forms in two different locations:
individual .vstpreset files
(C:\Users\Ian\AppData\Roaming\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\REVerence)

• is this a C6 location?
    and
    .vstsound impulse library files
    (C:\Users\Ian\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound)
  • C5?

After poking around it’s become apparent that there seems to be a multitude of places where these can possibly be stored and I really have no idea where things are/should be kept and why presets seems to come and go at random :confused:
I have identified the following folders:

C:\Users\Ian\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg
C:\Users\Ian\AppData\Roaming\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content
C:\ProgramData\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies
C:\Program Files(x86)\Steinberg\Cubase 5\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies

(I realise I have duplications because of 32-bit and 64-bit versions of C5)

Am I right in thinking the Cubase file locations/structure has somewhat change under C6?
I’ve done searches for info on all this but haven’t really found any clear answers. Does anyone actually know how and where all the various presets should be?

… Can’t really help you i’m afraid but i feel your pain bro!
I think most of us do really… surely it couldn’t be TOO difficult to keep most things in one, well organised and centralised folder?
The current file system IS a little Heath Robinson to be polite :unamused:

…and today all my HALone presets have now supontaneously vanished under C6 :imp:

I wonder if there’s some sort of conflict going on between C5 and C6?

As much as I love Cubase, it puts its folders all over the place, it’s a freaking mess ! I’ve already lost presets for the built in EQ ! I found them again in another old Cubase folder and managed to copy/paste the file. I’m not even sure the manual explains clearly how Cubase’s files are organized on the hard drive.

You think Cubase creates folders all over the place, wait until you integrate Native Instruments Komplete7 with Kore2…and stir in Cubase6! The reply from NI is “it’s not our fault…it’s that Windows 7 does it automatically.”

If it has to be this way, the very least Steinberg and NI could do is post a document showing where everything goes based on your operating system and the applications you use. I’m sure I have duplicates wasting space, but I’m a musician and want to focus the majority of my studio time on production…not PC maintenance.

That may sound lazy to some, but these are just tools, and in my opinion they should not require as much maintenance as they currently do.

Well, it certainly would be very useful to know more about how things are organised. I know I have numerous duplications, but it seems you almost NEED to have things duplicated in several locations just to cover yourself, though having said that, it doesn’t seem to be working well for me given my presets are seemingly coming and going on a whim. :confused:

what i normally do is create folders on a separate drives , like VSTi/s on separate drive from the OS drive , n preset folders in that drive too , n one drive for audio rendering … not sure how that will work with C6 , i am just started using , technically it should , i hate to keep any data on the os drive , s

Hello everyone,

Possible Solution:

(Having upgraded to Cubase 6.5 and Halion 4 only to find most of my old Halion One sounds had dissappeared and there was no evidence of the advertised ‘New Reverence Content’ that is supposed to have installed…)

Open the Media Bay and click on Define Locations - places Cubase knows about are highlighted . Tick directories where appropriate to bring them to Cubase’s attention. Will add info if I get any problems …

Don’t know if this is related but just recently after saving a song (in Artist 6.5), Cubase saves my Audio folder and Image folder to my desktop. I SAVE everything to an external harddrive, but when I come back to open a previous project, Cubase says there are audio files missing and I must locate them. And there they are on my computer desktop. I’ve tried dragging them back into my external hd, but everytime I save the song, the actual song is in the external drive but the audio and image folders are back on the desktop. Any solutions?

You can define the project save location in the project assisstant.