$$$ files - where to hide them

that’s welcome news indeed!

FYI, in WaveLab 10.0.30, there will be an option to disable the feature “Can Undo after Saving”, which is the reasons of these $$$ files.

thank you, PG!!

I’d like to post a small recommendation that solves this problem, especially if you want the benefit of both having “Undo after Saving” and not seeing those pesky .$$$ files in your file manager. It’s not free but it’s the best investment you’ll ever make, for many reasons other than this, trust me on this: Start using Directory Opus. Then, simply set a hide filter on any files you don’t want to be seen.

DOpus is WIndows only, but there’s a macOS app called Total Commander that’s pretty close to Directory Opus in features (which is the king of file managers in my opinion). Other similar apps can also do this, some of which are free.

There’s a ton of things that make DOpus ideal for audio production people of any sort. Just to name a few beneficial things that means a world to me: I can see the waveform of selected file in a preview pane. I can press a custom keyboard shortcut (bound to a single macro key on my Corsair keyboard) to instantly play the sound file, without any glitches, exactly as it should sound (no cutting off in the start of small audio files like QuickLook on the Mac). I can add my own toolbar buttons, eg. Cconvert to mono, Convert to .flac, etc. You can add a button to Record system audio. Possibilities are endless, and you grow with it. Not to mention all the time you save by using it. I know I almost sound like I’m paid for saying this, which is of course not the case :slight_smile: It’s just that, when there’s an app that breaks the world record in developer commitment and maintenance, instant customer support (often within the minute) on their forum, and when the damn app is the most underrated, but best in class file manager there is (I’ve tried all file managers on Windows, nothing beats DOpus), I can’t resist the plug in here. Kinda fits in, though, since we’re in the forum of the best in class audio editor there ever was (WL). :wink:

If you go this way, you can alternatively use XYPlorer (must-have application for me)
which has a “Ghost Filter” option (on/off), to hide filess with certain extensions.

And if you ignore it, WaveLab supports third-party file browser with this option:

useful when you call “Reveal file…” in various places of WaveLab.

argh! in 10.30 i have unchecked “Allow Undoing Edits After Save” but it’s still making $$$ files in my folder…

is there a 2nd setting i need to make?

Did you relaunch WaveLab after changing the option?

i’m not sure… i may have… but i have been working constantly since the update came out and no $$$ files were created until one today… but i just relaunched… so we’ll see if it happens again…

Hi, I can’t see the “Allow Undoing Edits After Saving” checkbox in Wavelab 11…
I have the same inconvenience with $$$ files like @taylor12k .
When I’m editing some files which are stored in my iCloud Drive folder, every time the $$$ files are uploaded to iCloud and deleted after Wavelab termination.
Can I disable the after save undo files somehow?
Wavelab Pro 11.0.20 (build 101), macOS 12.2.2

OMG, I’m sorry, I missed it in Preferences. Thanks you very much!