Filmmaker in need of suggestions for best midi keyboard or controller

I intend to use Cubase virtual instruments to produce film scores for my films.

You haven’t explained what kind of music you’re looking at making. Do you need expression control/aftertouch/49/61/88 keys? Do you want the absolute best so money is no object? Or are you on a tight budget?

Do you play music already? i.e. Are quality of the keys important.
Is it to go on your desk so space is a premium?
If controlling mixer faders/mutes/solos/transport important? (i.e. you mention controller)

Personally as a default starting point, something relatively simple that is low cost, but reliable, like the Arturia Keylabs are pretty good. 49 key essential models don’t take up too much deskspace and there’s plenty of controls which you may choose to map to different virtual instruments at your own leisure.

They also offer a basic level of DAW control with the transport and mixer controls. Keys are light though, so it’s not something a pianist would necessarily flock to.

There’s a lot of options out there.

1 Like

Here’s reviews of six cheapish keyboards. Plenty of options to chose from.

My personal option would be the Komplete Kontrol M32 if you are doing film stuff. You get a good software bundle that might be up your alley.

1 Like

First off thank you for the prompt and detailed reply. I’m looking at making classical film scores with some vocals every now and then. Money is no object, but quality is.

I have played a baby grand piano as a child - hopefully it comes back to me, lol. I have ample desk space. 88 keys. The string and brass sections are important to me so I’m guessing I would prefer mapping of at least 4 to 6 instruments.

So I’m correct then that using the mouse isn’t going to cut it for interfacing with the software??

Thanks for the link and the Komplete recommendation. So you wouldn’t recommend a midi controller? My film stuff is live action plus 3D animation (Maya & Z Brush) which I would like to do the film score more off of rhythm and feel then orchestra.

First off thank you for the prompt and detailed reply. I’m looking at making classical film scores with some vocals every now and then. Money is no object, but quality is.

I have played a baby grand piano as a child - hopefully it comes back to me, lol. I have ample desk space. 88 keys. The string and brass sections are important to me so I’m guessing I would prefer mapping of at least 4 to 6 instruments.

So I’m correct then that using the mouse isn’t going to cut it for interfacing with the software??

I suggest asking this question on VI-CONTROL
It’s a forum dedicated to virtual instruments and film scoring, lots of info already on controllers etc.
(I’m in a similar situation as yours).

1 Like

Will do. Thanks for the heads up. Being in the similar situation what have you come up with yet?? I’m leaning towards the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB Audio Interface but still in the dark on the keyboard or controller - leaning keyboard.

Guy (McElhmore??) whats his name - British dude - has some videos on youtube that have been helpful.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up. Being in the similar situation what have you come up with yet?? I’m leaning towards the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB Audio Interface but still in the dark on the keyboard or controller - leaning keyboard.

Guy (McElhmore??) whats his name - British dude - has some videos on youtube that have been helpful.

Here Guy doing a review of the big daddy of the M32.

I’m actually waiting on delivery of one so can’t really comment on how good it is but I’ll give you my opinion as soon as it arrives and I’ve had a play.

1 Like

I’m using a Studiologic SL73 (and I recommend the SL88 Grand if space and money are no issues) but today my Yamaha MODX6 arrived, I look forward to using it as a controller as well since it has nice DAW/VI control features.

I also intend to get a Mixface SL to complement the Studiologic keyboard (which will stay in my animation/post studio all the time, while the MODX will be also taken home ocassionally).

I’m doing some of Guy Mitchelmore’s paid entry level courses, enjoying them so far.

1 Like

Cool. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts as my Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB Audio Interface has a 4 to 6 week back order.

Thanks for the info - some bad ass equipment. Enjoy your Yamaha. I find Guy’s videos to be very beneficial. Being in Animation were you able to get Maya for $372 annual like I did (independent studio)?

1 Like

Damn that’s a beast. Sweet purchase!!

Just watched the review. Damn that’s a beast. Sweet purchase!!

I’m (used to be) a Houdini guy.
But nowadays I mostly write and direct. I do use Unreal Engine sometimes.

1 Like

I use Z Brush for models and Maya for animation and Avid Media Composer for video editing. I’m putting my films on Amazon Prime - and submitting to Netflix.

1 Like

I went with the CC121 controller, Steinberg’s URC816 Audio Interface and a Kensington Expert wired track ball (Dom’s Youtube videos). For now…

I went with the CC121 controller, Steinberg’s URC816 Audio Interface and a Kensington Expert wired track ball (Dom’s Youtube videos). For now… :thinking:

I went with the CC121 controller, Steinberg’s URC816 Audio Interface and a Kensington Expert wired track ball (Dom’s Youtube videos). For now… :smiley:

1 Like