Fingering above and under the stave

Dear Dorico Friends, how do I create such Piano worksheet. Just elementar scales where fingering for the right hand ist about the stave, and for the left under the stave. Thank you in advance.

I think at present this is only possible by adding a second voice and hiding the unnecessary stems in the properties in Engrave mode. In order to have the fingerings of the left hand below the notes you can set the Engraving option: Fingering > Position of fingerings relative to staff > Follow voice directions.

Now imagine applying that work-around in a fingered edition of a piece of piano music. The ability to assign two or more finger numbers to a single note and to be able to move them wherever necessary is an essential part of preparing such editions, and publishers of such are going to need that to switch to Dorico.

To be fair, in piano music the voices of one hand usually are not played with the other hand at the same time. This probably applies primarily to worksheets with scales and the like. In my experience, setting and aligning fingerings is always time consuming, so this work-around is not beyond the usual scope. This said, of course I would not mind if the double fingerings could be set more easily and this also applies to fingerings that have to be set individually for different voices in one hand.

Multiple fingerings are needed for alternate fingering. In many editions, sets of alternate fingerings are set above and below the notes. Here is an example from Schenker’s edition of Beethoven’s op. 78:

Thank you John very much😊I could follow an example you did. Anyway what you would do with the chords? They stay separated from each other and in this case an intelligent guessing of Dorico is a big disadvantage, because I cannot write a fingering for a left hand in a right progression: 5,3,1 instead of 1,3,5.

To get the correct order for the left-hand fingerings you have to add a «L», such as “l1,3,5”.
To make the chords overlap you go to Engrave mode / Properties and set the “Voice column index” of the upstem chords to “0”
Chords with fingerings

Juerg, very impressive. Thank you very much for your time und answers:)

A small addendum. In Dorico 4.3 you can speed up the hiding of the note stems via Jump Bar. Select the notes: “J”, “Toggle Hide Stem”. Or, even faster with an assigned shortcut (see page 33 of version history).

1 Like

It is good to know, it is all possible in Dorico. Thank you again for your friendly help. Anyway I had to flip (F) each stem manually and it is quite time consuming, if you are going to write down 31 scales. I hope one day Dorico will more worksheet-friendly application😊

You could select all, filter the down stem voice and press f, to flip all at once. or use the jump bar/ toogle hide stem (and hide them instead of flipping them).

2 Likes

If you are going to write out that many scales, why not do it once, make the changes, then simply copy them? Once copied, they can be transposed, but will retain the changes/fingerings, etc. I agree it would be nice if one could do what you original asked, but for now this might speed things up.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. I mean not to flip all at once but to flip in order to get stems up till “middle" A and stems down by a higher notes. As stems for 2. voice are “hidden”, Dorico forces by the first voice to show them up
So actually each scale have to be edited manually