fingering suggestion

Hi,

When I enter fingerings rapidly, I use shift-f enter very fast. Often, I don’t lift the shift key fast enough. It would be sweet if the fingering layout would accept shift-number for finger numbers, so I could just hold it down and do shift-f shift- and get the number I intend.

Or a “sticky” fingering mode that allows the user to stay in fingering mode, select a note, type a fingering, arrow to next note (or select with mouse), type a fingering, etc., then get out of fingering mode when done. Perhaps this is tricky because fingerings appear to be using the popover type of entry.

“Sticky fingers” ha ha :laughing:

Would love to be able NOT to press each time Shift+F in order to add a next finger number. it would be great if Fingering would function like Lyrics: pressing arrow user would be able to add a finger number to a next note.

I’m going to need to add an FAQ about why fingering doesn’t work that way… but in the meantime, allow me (for I think the third time) to quote myself from my blog post:

It’s worth dwelling for a moment on why you cannot advance the popover with (say) Space or the arrow keys. Simply put, the fingering that you specify is an intrinsic part of the note itself, and as such you have to select the note or chord before you open the popover, so that Dorico knows exactly where that fingering should go. If you could advance the popover with the keyboard, Dorico would have to guess which note or notes should be selected, and this would introduce its own complexities, particularly in keyboard music.

Dear Daniel, I understand, thank you very much for your replay. Any way I would suggest Dorico could choose lets say an upper note by default. Pressing right arrow user would be able to choose a next note and then - pressing up/down arrow - some particular note in chord if needed. Dorico is a very intelligent program. It is enough to choose an upper note in piano chord for example C-major and to write 1,3,5 or even 5,3,1 - Dorico will choose a right way to order them. So, again, why not to use left-right arrow or enter fingering like we do it for Lyrics?

Thanks for adding fingering to Dorico, I love it, but…
A somewhat quicker way to enter fingering to the next note/chord would be appreciated.

I tried to automate entering fingering by hitting the keys in a ritmic pattern (right arrow>shift f>number>enter>right arrow etc), but it works only with single notes in a row.

(I understand Daniels explanation about the technics behind Dorico fingering, but perhaps in the future…?)

+1

+1, and it’s good to see folks with similar requests :slight_smile:

Here’s a thread I posted for an idea pretty much the same as @mipi and @musicmaven above: Steinberg Forums

Thanks for all the other suggestions, but I do want to mention that the thread was hijacked a bit. I am not asking for arrows or other features, I rather like the fingering popover, just a suggestion that if we type “shift-1” by accident, that it still spits out a “1” fingering.

Sorry for hijacking CelloG!

Hi Daniel - and Happy New Year.

I’m going back over old scores, re-entering fingerings and encountering the same problems that others in this thread have.

I’ve read the excerpt from your blog a few times now and can’t quite follow it. Surely if I advance the popover with the keyboard to another note, Dorico wouldn’t need to guess the note because I’m already indicating which one it is?

Apologies - I’m obviously missing something…