Fishman Triple Play OR Boss GP-10 Guitar Processor with GK-3 Pickup

Thinking about purchasing Fishman Triple Play to play directly into Cubase 10.5 DAW. Saw there might be a problem with Halion 6.

Can any of you help me with this? The setup to get a VST to work with Fishman Triple Play? OR ----------

Cause there is another option: Boss GP-10 Guitar Processor with GK-3 Pickup.

Anyone know someone who uses these or one of them in Cubase 10.5? Both of these options are a few years old and still sell ‘new’ at music stores.

I would appreciate any practical advice including how to set up the VST with ? to get it going?

This topic came up before, and I resolved it in favor of the Boss GP-10.

The most fundamental issue is what you want to do with this setup. If you want to MIDI control H6, then I’d advise against the GP-10. I hasn’t been satisfying as a MIDI controller. This doesn’t bother me because I have an excellent keyboard controller and can play keys adequately enough for what I’m trying to do there. OTOH, if you aren’t so hot on keys compared to guitar, you’d want a decent guitar MIDI controller option. (assuming wind controllers are not an option.)

I cannot speak to the Fishman because I chose the GP-10. So I will tell that side of the story.

If you want to mainly make guitar-like sounds, the GP-10 is pretty damn good. There are still a couple of issues:

1. The GP-10 can be “programmed” via knobs and buttons, but it’s nicer to Boss Tone Studio. There are so many options and combinations of options that you can’t experiment adequately without the PC. AFAIK, the software has never been updated and I can’t get it to run under win10, so I need to keep a laptop in win7 to use this feature.

However, the driver software does run on win10, so you can record 6 tracks (one for each string) quite well in Cubase.
2. When not used as a MIDI controller, the GP-10 will never make an error in identifying a note, because it doesn’t need to do it at all. The trouble comes when you ask for a pitch shift, such as in alternate tuning. This usually goes very well, but sometimes seems to misfire. There are also limits on the technology in extreme cases. (For example, if you want your guitar tuned as a banjo, the low A string has to turn into a G that’s about 2 octave higher, and this sound is significantly unnatural.)

You can work around this problem by recording the 6 strings, using variaudio or melodyne to do the pitch shift (and any formant revision), then feed the result to the GP-10. The GP-10 then operates like an outboard processor, and you can record the result.

On the whole, I’m very satisfied with the GP-10. It’s my go-to for all guitar work. Apart from the issues above, the only help it needs is what a guitar normally needs during production. (For example, the acoustic guitar sounds benefit nicely from applying Waves’ Maserati ACG.)

Excellent!

I’ll come back to your article again. Thank you!

I bought a Roland GR55 some years ago. The bottom line is I think the tracking is disappointing. And variable. I know it depends on clean technique, but apart from pad chords I have always found it very difficult to use the GK3 as a soloing solution. I recently bought a Fishman Connect (exactly the same electronics as the Triple Play but with a wired connection rather than wireless, and much cheaper). Early days, but sadly I’d say this is also disappointing for tracking.Another Cubase user here (polgara) has suggested Jam Origin’s MIDI guitar software which I’m about to try.

Bottom line in my opinion: if you want a GK3 or Fishman to solo seamlessly using any instrument sample, you may be disappointed. If you want to provide chordal backing or some slow lines, it may be just what you’re looking for.

Steve.

plectrumboy – Steve

“Another Cubase user here (polgara) has suggested Jam Origin’s MIDI guitar software which I’m about to try.”

I own it, tried it, and did get it working with my acoustic-electric. However as soon as I wanted to add another VST track with a different instrument using the Jam Origin MIDI guitar it won’t work. Maybe someone solved this? I checked months ago and others said that was an issue. You have on VST of choice and one track to enter with Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2.

So?

I’m looking at the GP-10 seriously it looks like. I looked too at the Guitar synthesizer Roland on sale for $1,000 but it doesn’t sound good in my opinion.

I didn’t know there was a wired version of the Fishman. hmm.

Well, the overarching issue in this choice is where the A/D conversion takes place. What comes off the guitar? The GK-3 sends parallel 6 analog signals, which can be turned into MIDI or not. It’s this conversion to MIDI that bothers me, so I avoid it. Roland’s version of the MIDI conversion is no doubt worse than Fishman’s anyway. That means the GP-10 is essentially a guitar processor that starts by converting analog audio to digital audio. Then it supplies a new guitar body (digital modelling), effects (digital modelling), and an amp (digital modelling). In this normal mode, it never knows or cares what MIDI note number or velocity may be involved.

The analog signal from the GK-3 will have noise in it. There are good noise suppressors in the GP-10, and you can adjust these and other parameters to get a very clean sound. Fret buzz is another issue, particularly on acoustic guitar simulations. We normally try to fix this at the source with neck and action adjustments. I’m pretty good at that kind of thing, but I found the exercise to be frustrating and not entirely successful. The installation of the GK-3 is non-trivial. I highly recommend using the screws to install the hex pickup because tiny adjustments can make a big difference in getting a loud enough signal and minimal cross-talk.

The fret buzz problem can be mostly addressed by tweaking certain details in the acoustic guitar setup, such as knocking down the EQ top end. The results are quite satisfying because acoustic guitars naturally reveal more fret buzz, and the top end that carries the fret buzz is unnatural anyway.

There’s an option to blend in the output of the normal guitar pickup, but I rarely do that. It’s great to have twelve electric guitars (all of which can become 12-string), 6 acoustic guitars (all of which can be converted to 12 string), a banjo, and a Coral electric sitar without having to buy, maintain, or store them. There are also bass and synth options, but these are less useful. I’d recommend a real bass guitar and keyboard-controlled soft synths for those sounds. There are some hex-pickup specific tricks that are nice, such as what happens when you apply distortion to each string before mixing them. (As opposed to what electric guitars normally do – the normal pickup is shared by all strings, thus creating a mix, which then hits the distortion.)

I prefer the GP-10 amp sims over stock Cubase guitar amp sims, particularly the Fender Bassman and the Vox AC-30. I once sent a non-guitar audio track through the GP-10 to see if I could just use it as an outboard amp sim, and it worked.

Another issue - The signal chain for effects has limitations. You can change the order of the effects, but you can’t do parallel effects or use the same effect twice. That would be asking a lot for the price. If I wanted to do these things, I’d have to (1) record the modeled guitar into Cubase, (2) build the effects chain using plugins within Cubase, (3) send the result back to the GP-10 after the performance was finished to pick up the amp model, (4) and record the result coming from the GP-10 before doing further production. This isn’t a workable solution because the final tracked sound wouldn’t match the sound during the take. To escape this problem, I’d skip the GP-10 amp sim in favor of a plugin amp sim in Cubase, at least during recording. Possibly swap it out for something similar (or better) on the GP-10 later.

Also, when you record trough the 6-track GP-10 ASIO driver, there’s only one stereo channel of audio coming from Cubase as a cue. This isn’t a problem, other than making the workflow a little bit more awkward than if you just took the stereo out from the GP-10 into your regular audio interface, as you would with a conventional instrument.

I have one of the first triple play pickups since 2013 and it works just fine for me.
I use it mainly to record bassparts(electric and double bass) and saxophone parts together with a breathcontroller.
With the right adjustments on the pickup itself and in the software it works and plays nicely.

This is definitely the answer! Thank you for taking the time and sharing. SH