fit systems into page

I wish fiting systems into a page would be a bit easier and intuitive.
I would love to be able to just select systems and choose fit to page.
Then, I would fix whatever spacing problem I have between some staves with the system spacing tools.

I’m a bit going trough a nightmare here formating my first set of parts in Docico :frowning:
Best

Yan

There is a Make Into Frame button in the left panel of Engrave mode. Click the first thing you want on the page, then Cmd/Ctrl+click the last thing you want on the page, then click Make Into Frame.

For parts, the easiest way to set the systems into pages is: set an appropriate value for the gap between systems in Layout Options > Vertical Spacing. I usually reduce the value to about 7 spaces.
For multi-flow works, I turn on Flow Headings and let flows run across pages. Then I just set a few Frame Breaks where I need to, for good page turns and to get whole movements on a spread. If you want to force more systems on a page than the default, use Make Into Frame (or apply two Frame Breaks, and click on “Wait for next Frame Break” in the properties pane of the first one.)

If the music is simple, you can set bars per system and systems per page in Layout Options.

I can create a set of beautiful instrumental parts in minutes with Dorico. The trick, I think is not to do too much: let Dorico do it.

Note that once you’ve done what Leo describes, there are frame breaks applied, that appear as signposts. In write mode, you can move those breaks like any other object, using alt-left/right arrow (value of rhythmic grid). I find this a very powerful way to change my layout once everything is done.

ok thanks…
I’m getting there slowly.
I realise how hard it is to change habits after 30 years with the same software…

Best
Yan

I am going through a bit of the same challenge so I thought it would be best to hook in here rather than start a new thread.
I’ve got 5 charts just written for a vocal sextet. When I export each one as a .pdf, I end up with a layout of three systems per page which is a bit small for the singers. I would like to increase the size of the systems to end up with two systems per page. Is there an easy way to do that? I looked around in Layout Options but I didn’t see anything that addressed this situation (although I could easily have missed it.). Thanks!

Yes, the simplest way would be to increase the Rastral size on the Page Setup page of Layout Options. I would recommend using a size between size 6 and size 3 for vocal staves.

Thanks Daniel. Size 6 looks great! However, I have two remaining problems (easily resolved, I’m sure):

1. Although the system layout for all pages after the first page is great, the spacing for the first page is not the same (as you will see in the screen shot). What did I not tweak?
  2. (embarrassed). I now see that the headers for the pages have the name of a different arrangement. I thought that the title on the Properties page would flow to the headers, but clearly that is not the case. Again, what I did I miss?
  1. That’s the difference between “only systems justified vertically” (p1) and “both staves and systems justified” (p2) – see here: Changing the vertical justification of staves/systems (Edit: these quotation marks here are not directly quoting the options that appear in Dorico, but are instead intended to gather together the two contrasting concepts.)

2. If the page isn’t overridden, this will be displaying whatever the token on the Default page template is referring to (by default, that’s the flow title in Project Info).

Here’s a page from our First Steps guide about how information flows from Project Info onto the page templates that Dorico provides by default. (*It uses the Dorico 3.5 and earlier term “master pages” but functionally this is exactly the same as “page templates” in Dorico 4.)

I watched this yesterday and found it very useful for sorting out layouts.

Thanks Lillie. I found my mistake in terms of the header. However, wrt the options you describe in #1, I don’t see the setting that you’re referring to in Layout Options. Is this a Dorico 4 feature? I’m back on 3.5 because my activation of Dorico 4 has apparently expired.

No, should be in the same place in 3.5. Changing the vertical justification of staves/systems (3.5 manual)

RobF –
I finally found the time to watch this video…and I know <> understand the two ‘vertical justification triggers’ and the critical point that only one of them applies in a given situation. Very useful functionality…once you understand how to use it.
Thanks for the link…:slight_smile: