Fix for mouse movement causing audio spikes

I have a new powerful DAW with Windows 10 and Cubase 11. Everything working great, except moving the mouse was making the audio performance meter spike heavily. I tried everything; drivers, BIOS settings, everything. I was almost ready to throw the PC out of the window when I found this advice:

Try this: go to control panel - mouse -> properties -> motion -> display pointer trails.
This is a common problem, probably related to hardware graphics acceleration interfering with audio stream priority.

…and the problem is miraculously fixed! If you have a similar problem I hope this helps you too. I am now a happy camper.