I doubt it’s the rehearsal marks. Dan, can you attach the project here? If you’re not comfortable posting it, you can email it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de. Include a link to this thread so I know what I’m supposed to do with it (I get a lot of email and I can end up not remembering what specific problem a file is in connection with).
The problem is that you’ve set the ‘Minimum inter-system gap with content’ option on the Vertical Spacing page of Layout Options to 6 spaces, in error I think: this means that Dorico is trying to add 6 spaces between any items that protrude from the top or bottom of each system. This is set to 2 spaces by default, which is more sensible. If you want to influence the amount of space between systems, use ‘Inter-system gap’ in the section above instead.
As a postscript, if it’s helpful to anyone else… I ended up using 2 7/8 spacing for inter-system gaps with content. It gave the rehearsal marks a little extra room for visibility. The part now looks great, with no manual staff spacing needed.
Aaaaaand “Save as Default” (or it could be aptly named “Save for Posterity”). Thanks Daniel. Three cheers for automatic layout spacing!
kjonsson, I whipped up a quick comparison for you.
I’ve added borders, which show quite how much space there is built into each font. By the looks of things you could get away with Helsinki Text. On my Mac the shortcut for a Coda glyph is Shift+Alt+O (as opposed to Shift+Alt+5 in regular Helsinki Std).
Sure, attached. The orchestration isn’t finished, but you can see the part spacing worked out quite nicely. I literally nudged only one system in one part (a trombone, I think)! Christ the Lord is Risen Today.zip (602 KB)
Aha…! Strange, it seemed as if spacing fell better into place when I changed to Bravura Text, but it certainly doesn’t look as if there should be much difference from Helsinki std.
I’m still puzzled by spacing issues that seems to occur when using repeat endings. Especially in combination with chords and/or rehearsal marks, it tends to make more space than needed between systems.
kjonsson, it’s Helsinki Std that is pushing the stave down in the example I posted. Look at how much less padding there is with Helsinki Text and Bravura Text - if I removed the first example the stave would be 3mm higher (or whatever the gap is between the bottom borders and the stave below.