Flickering due to decimal places

Been meaning to mention this for a while…

When the time display uses less than three decimal places (i.e. when it goes from 1.059 seconds to 1.06) the whole bar shifts. It makes me jumpy.

Can I request that zeros pad out the decimal places?

Where are you seeing this? The time display in the transport always uses a fixed number of digits for each of its three representations, so it doesn’t change width.

It affects everything up to the layout name in the bar. All of the time representations change width, but only the one with 1/1000s affects the rest of the bar.

Flow 1 in Sandown March 2019-09-30 17-10-56_Trim.zip (814 KB)
Here is a screen video.

If you look at the video frame by frame, the problem isn’t the number of decimal places. It’s because the display uses a variable width font, so the digit 1 is narrower than the others.

This doesn’t happen with the default font on Windows.

Yes, I clocked that when recording the video. I’m on windows 10 and I haven’t changed the font.

I’m also on Windows 10 and haven’t changed any fonts either. Compare the spacing of “11” in the two screen shots.

Note: it’s not a light/dark display difference - I get the same with the light display.
My PC.png
Steve Parker Video.png

Does that mean I’m missing a font? I’m a bit of a Windows newbie… How might I have changed/lost one?

No, when running in English Dorico uses the Segoe UI font on Windows for all of the text in the user interface; on Mac it uses Adobe’s Source Sans Pro.

Why is mine different to Rob’s?

Well, using my amazing powers of mind-reading and being able to look in detail at the contents of two computers’ file systems using astral projection…

Sorry if my question is daft…
Is the font in my video above not the Segoe UI font? Or is Rob’s not.
How might either have changed from the default?

I don’t have access to a Windows computer right now, so I can’t say.

There are 12 different variations of the Segoe UI font on my PC. “Regular” seems to have equal-width digits, but the “Light” and “Semilight” versions do not.

It’s hard to tell from the video, but it looks like I am using “Regular” and Steve’s video is “Semilight.”

I have 13 so I’m not missing anything.

Maybe the 13th one is the one that Dorico shouldn’t be using :wink:

I have Segoe UK version 5.62 with 12 faces, Regular, Black, Bold, Light, Semibold, Semilight, and italic versions of those six.

There are also separate fonts, Segoe MDL2 Assets, Segoe Print, Segoe Script, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Historic, and Segoe UI Symbol.

So that’s your secret! I knew there was something to this great support.

I have two Semilight’s showing.
The second one is in C:\PROGRAM FILES\CYBERLINK\POWERRECOVER\MAKEWINPEISO\WINPE_X64\ISO\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\FONTS\SEGOE_SLBOOT.TTF
I’m nervous to delete this one.
As well as those in Rob’s post, I have Segoe Mono Boot.

I have no idea why Dorico might use the wrong font on mine.

From Wikipedia, it looks like Segoe Mono Boot is designed for running when windows being installed from a disk image, before the PC knows much about the screen display hardware, so that is irrelevant. Since it is a monospaced font, it wouldn’t cause the problem anyway.

I originally downloaded Windows 10 as an upgrade from Windows 7, not as a clean install from a DVD, so that might explain why I don’t have that font.

Presumably you know why you have some software from cyberlink installed. Maybe the cyberlink backup/restore software has somehow registered its own version of Segoe as the default system font - just guessing. Their website has some customer support links.

Thanks for help Rob. That extra Semilight was the problem. I deleted it and Dorico is no longer flickering.