floating meter windows setting lost

i open all my meters as floating windows and place them where i want them on my 2 monitors.
i’m saving the workspaces for wave and montage as default.
after closing WL7 and re-opening the program the floating meter windows are all somwhere else, stacked in the left top corner of the display.
why doesn’t WL7 remember the placement of the windows?
in which file are these layout settings stored on the computer?

thanks

There are normally remembered. Could it be the case, that your main monitor is not “on the left”?

the main monitor is the left one.
this is a new fault as previously this did not happen. thats why i want to know in which file the info for floating window location is stored. i might be able to restyore it from a previous configuration that i backed up.
thanks

It is in file Preferences\General.dat
but this file contains other settings.

it does not work.
here the sequence of events:
uninstall WL7 incl all settings
re-install
open virging WL7 (registers plugins etc)
close WL7. overwrite General.dat with backup file from previous version/ result:

things look as they should
close WL7
restart WL7 , neither master section nor floating meters are displayed.

opening mastersection from menu result: Master section appears at the wrong location

opening floating meters from menu result: no open meters available.

any explanation?

PS: even without restoring the General.dat file after new install WL7 does not retain master section and floating meter location after any re-start.

I have difficulties to understand your screen setup (independently from WaveLab), and your pictures are a bit too small to figure out:
You have two screens:

1. how many pixels?
  2. Are they configured as 2 independent screens (the common case), or as one wide screen?

the resolution is 1360x768
screen res AoA.jpg
the whole thing is driving me mad.
it also appears when i update from WL 7 to 7.2 a lot of the settings get lost. can that be?
i started to replace various preset files to see what happens…guesswork and trial and error, very tedious.
is there a list of what preference file contains which settings?

another area that took a lot of work and i can’t get restored properly is the plugin organisation into various subfolders and ‘disabling’ a lot of unecessary plugs. where are those settings stored?

thanks

another area that took a lot of work and i can’t get restored properly is the plugin organisation into various subfolders and ‘disabling’ a lot of unecessary plugs. where are those settings stored?

AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab 7\Preferences\PlugInPref.set

it also appears when i update from WL 7 to 7.2 a lot of the settings get lost. can that be?

Normally, everything is preserved.

is there a list of what preference file contains which settings?

AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab 7\Preferences
AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab 7\Presets\

contain most of the time self-explanatory names.

hi phil.
did a few more tests and still have the problem of the lost window locations.
i pinpoited more precise under what conditions it happens.

if i only work with wav files all is ok.
if i open any new or old montage the problems start.
when i close WL7 simultaneously (the wav and montage windows) via the taskbar (close all windows)
after i reopen WL7 the settings are lost.
if i close the montage window first and then close the application, all is retained.

of course i have to restore the General.dat file after every loss and have to re-open the montages again that i was working on.

just to complete the picture:
i went back to my initial image with a clean WIN7 and new W7 install before any further plugins etc. WL7 shows the same behavior as discribed.