Flow title overlaps music - how to make more space?

Hi.

A new flow starts at the top of a page, and there is quite some text above the first bars of music so it reaches up into the flow title.
Now, what can I do to push the music (including the text) down and away from the flow title?

• Moving the whole music frame down also includes the flow title.
  • Making the flow title frame higher does not push the music down.

Any ideas?
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Use the staff spacing tool to move the top system down slightly.

If the flow header moves as well, press Tab to select the smaller handle instead, which will move the top staff, not the entire system.

Hi, Dan!

I was half afraid that this would be the solution. I had hoped there was some padding option I had simply overlooked without moving all the staves (moving it “slightly” will not do the trick here :wink: ).

A customized Flow Header can add additional space under the flow text to allow for greater separation between the Flow Header text and the music.

2 Likes

A simple Flow headings change (without even chaging the flow headings template) can give you access to new vertical margins. @dan_kreider, you should try this :wink:
I find it cleaner (and way more doricoish) than using the staff spacing tool!

1 Like

I’ve tried it. I do use flow heading changes from time to time. But I find they’re more trouble than they’re worth for me. I much prefer to just adjust the staff spacing.

Anyways, there are presently no great solutions for making changes in the earlier part of an existing project if you’ve changed a lot of things on later pages.

I find the whole flow header issue needlessly confusing. Why can’t I simply move the flow title exactly where I want it to be vertically (either globally or locally) and leave it at that? I understand that it’s un-Doricoish, but there’s a point where your making things too complex just to maintain some kind of design consistency.

Can you show us an example of the problem, so we can suggest the best method of dealing with it?

If all else fails, you can move a Flow Heading anywhere within the Music Frame. If you want it higher, then move the Frame.

1 Like

Ah, OK, I didn’t realize that you could move the frame. I assumed you would do it the way you move systems, but I see you have to be in frame create mode.

I’m still pretty new to Dorico after nearly 30 years in Finale world, so still figuring out stuff. Thanks for your help!

Many of us have made the transition! It’s very different, but usually for good reason.

2 Likes

It is SO SO SO worth the transition pains. I thought I’d never leave Finale even though it made me angry on a daily basis. Dorico feels like it is made by composers—or at least people who don’t hate composers. :rofl:

2 Likes