'Focus' Key Commands

Hi Team,

I’ve seen a few threads in this forum (see below), but don’t seem to have an answer regarding what each of the ‘Focus’ key commands are acutally doing within the DAW? Can someone please explain what keystrokes (TAB, UP, DOWN, etc.) the following replicate?:

• Focus - Backward
• Focus- Forward
• Focus - Confirm
• Focus - Escape

It’s difficult to replicate the result of a Macro unless you understand what the functions are actually doing in the background. For example, I was trying to creat a simple macro that adds an audio track (Add Track - Audio), and then selects the ‘Add Track’ button within the screen prompt. I’ve tried adding ‘Focus - Forward’, (once, twice, and so on) then ‘Focus - Confirm’ but it doesn’t seem to work.

Randomly, I added 5x ‘Focus - Forward’ to the same macro, and when it didnt work, I hit ‘Cancel’ in the Add Track window… and it muted a track within the Project Window… So I tried it again… then this time it set Read and Write to all tracks. So my guess is that the Add Track window doesn’t integrate with the ‘Focus’ Key Commands, and only once the window was closed could the macro carry out the remaining steps.

Hi,

Unfortunately in the Add Track dialog the Focus doesn’t jump over to the Add Track button (actually even not over to the Audio Inputs, Outputs and this section).

Thanks @martin. So do you know what function the Forward and Backward Focus Key Commands are supposedly simulating? E.g. Tab Function?

Also, do you know which Windows work with Focus, if the Add Track doesn’t??

Hi,

It’s not a simulation of Tab. It’s an internal function.

Add Track window is not working completely. Most of the window works.

Ok. So to ‘Debug’ it’s just random trial and error of removing xForward Commands? Or is there a better way to write a Focus Macro? Just unsure how to know to navigate around a window if I can’t test it outside the macro first?

Hi,

You can test it outside the macro beforehand. Just assign any Key Command to the Focus - Backward/Forward/Confirm/Escape functions and then trigger these functions by using the Key Commands you assigned.