Folder with Group or Multi-Track-Preset with Creation

I typically create two mono audio tracks and a stereo group of them and put them all together into one folder for e.g. guitars. For hardware synths I typically create a midi track, one or more mono audio tracks and a stereo group.

It would be great if there is a function like „put selected tracks into a folder and group them“. Or in the mixer view „create group of selected tracks and put them into a new folder“. Or Multi-Track Preset including track creation (with folders and groups).

Working with large multi purpose templates creates large projects with a lot of unused tracks that would remain until its sure that are not gonna be needed. Making it easier to work as you go but with the convenience of templates would really be a great workflow feature.

I have a dedicated Project to use as a glorified ‘Track Preset’ library. Then using “Import Tracks From Project…” I can import Tracks singly or in multiples including Folder Tracks.

My basic Template only has a handful of Tracks for Audio, VSTi’s and the like. But it has a very extensive set of Group Channels that are setup as various sub-mixes that cascade into each other. The key is to have a baseline bus structure that will always exist in every Project. Then when making Tracks for a Track Library as long as they match this baseline bus structure they will be correctly routed when Imported into any Project.

The reason to use a Project instead of Track Presets is because Track Presets don’t retain their routing. But when you Import from a Project the routing will be maintained IF the routing destination exists in the Project - hence the value of a standardized bus structure.

EDIT

Here’s what that looks like. I’m using Direct Routing because it makes it easier to both see and change the routing - but this works fine with regular Routing. Many of these Group Channels are initially hidden in the Template and only made visible when needed.

Thanks @raino, very helpful ideas!

…Project to use as a glorified ‘Track Preset’ library…

Good Idea. I’ll try this.

…a very extensive set of Group Channels…

Yeah, that’s what i do too.

Many of these Group Channels are initially hidden in the Template and only made visible when needed.

This is also a very good idea i’ll need to try.

Even with all these tricks it would be nice to have functions like „put selected tracks into a folder and group them“ or „create group of selected tracks and put them into a new folder".