For God’s Sake Fix Metering In Cubase

Metering speed—fallback speed can be set to a max of 40 db per second. Bring it to Pro Tools response time. Also make the GUI consistent—take away the weird, ugly gradient on metering and have a more professional looking meter. Make it thinner in the mixer, with more useful info. We also need compression GR metering in mixer like Pro Tools, Logic and S1—one that shows third party VST GR as well. Thank you!

1 Like

I’d add option for average metering (like RMS/VU/LUFS) per track, for perceived loudness/energy per individual track simultaneously, integrated into the mixer. Not just the peak values. (Not sure which one(s) of these metering techniques that should be used, but some kind of average metering per individual track.)

VU meter/Peak meter/both option for all audio channels - Cubase - Steinberg Forums (VU meter/Peak meter/both option for all audio channels)
RMS / VU metering in mixer channels - Cubase - Steinberg Forums (RMS / VU metering in mixer channels)
Per track RMS metering - Cubase - Steinberg Forums (Per track RMS metering)

That would be useful too.

1 Like

Agreed! Also metering scales like K etc. on all channels rather than control room master only. Thanks!

I agree with this. I would love professional-looking metering in Cubase, not only for making it look more adult, but also for technical mix reasons.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am a Logic user who is contemplating switching to Cubase. The SuperVision functionality is what has me interested.

I found this thread after Googling “Cubase metering.”

Now that Cubase 11 + SuperVision is out, how many of your complaints above are fixed?

Thanks,
Fred

Hi Fred,

Well, first, I’d like to encourage you to switch to Cubase, as it is the most powerful and flexible DAW on the market, in my opinion.

SuperVision is great, as it has analysis tools not previously available in Cubase. The fallback speed in the console/mixer metering still goes up to 40 dBs/s max, which is not bad. The ballistics could be improved and the gradient changed also–these are just my personal preferences.

In conclusion, I think you’ll be just fine switching to Cubase. Good luck.

Um from what I can see, this was addressed…not sure about fallback but I always use Ksystem and have since 2005…brilliant, thanks Bob Katz

Would like to know more about the need for ballistics at more than 40db/s …interesting. Im a fan of Dan Worrall…better not to see gain reduction.

Colour gradients have been user definable for a long time; without using supervision

Hmm I think gain reduction on the meters would be something I would turn off…just another visual cue to distract the fact that we should search with our ears and not eyes…gr is a momentary cue when dialling in…if we are fine tuning with a visual…anyway each to their own.

It would be good an option or button switch to input level in every track, not just global.