for the next version - cues as miniature staves above or below

The new cues feature is great.

One problem I have encountered is when trying to cue during long repeated notes, I am forced to use rhythmic cues, because regular cues throws off the spacing of the notes and looks really strange. An easy solution graphically would be to pull the cue onto a miniature staff above or below the line. This would also make it possible to typeset parts such as Berg’s string quartet Op. 3, which has almost the entire score set as cues above or below the part.

Another feature I would love is the ability to cue more than 1 part, especially useful when a distinctive sound is actually a composite of more than 1 part.

You can already cue more than one instrument, by the way; I’ve just tried it and it works. What Dorico can’t do is automatically condense voices, for example. What kind of material did you have in mind?

Your suggestion is great; I wonder if it’ll somehow tie into Dorico’s eventual implementation of ossias.

Edit - You gave me food for thought. Thanks! But I guess you have to create a new player for every independent “cue track”. If two players can manage with exactly the same cues, then great, but to perfectly recreate the Berg you’d need an extra player for each member of the quartet.

You can of course cue an entire part into an existing part layout simply by including the other player in the part layout, then select something on the newly-included staff, right-click and choose to reduce the size of the included staff.

Can you tell me how to cue more than one instrument? I’m only able to select one instrument for the cue.

Just add the cues one at a time.

Yes, but if I only want a portion, there doesn’t seem to be an option to resize a whole staff to 0%, is there? I would want to be able to hide irrelevant areas.

Add a player that only shows in the part, not in the score.
Then cue into it whatever you want, and set the size of it to whatever you like.
For the relevant part layout, go to Layout Options > Vertical Spacing > Hide Empty Staves and set Hide Empty Staves to All systems.

ok, I guess that could work

The problem is that it requires duplicating content, which increases the surface area for errors. It’s not very “Dorico” to do this :slight_smile:

Well, it actually doesn’t: When you use cues, you don’t duplicate content, you only add references to the content. So the real overhead ist minimal.