Force Articulation setting?

Hi there,

I just started engraving Ravel’s Bolero. Ran into a problem on page 2, measure 9. He notates a staccato and a tenuto at the same time. Surely Ravel knows best (see screenshot 12:57pm). Yet when I click staccato it turns of tenuto, and vice versa. Is there a way around this?

Also, a question for the Notation Options experts: There seems to be no Notation/Note Grouping setting that allows me to tie the notes as seen in the flute melody (see screenshot 1:15pm). I have to use Force Duration, which I also find counterintuitive since Ravel is a master orchestrator, so his notation style should be considered to be 100% correct, and the software shouldn’t be fighting me on this.

Feature request: A “Force Articulation” setting or “Force Everything” button that would resolve issues like this. For example, regarding articulation, for brass writing in contemporary music, it is not uncommon to have an accent on the first and last beat of a tied note. This, unless I’m mistaken, is impossible at the moment.

Thanks!

Dorico has an entirely separate articulation marking for what you’re looking for:

As for forcing articulation markings at both ends of a note, you have multiple workarounds for that already:

1. Use different voices for each end of the tied note, add the articulation mark to each note, then tie them together like so:

1. Create a Playing Technique that mimics the articulation mark, then apply it wherever you like.

Ah, thanks pianoleo!!

Yes, those are good hacks too. I’ve been using a slur instead of a tie too.
Thanks!

I performed a quick search for my question, but couldn’t find it. I’ve had good use for the option to place articulations on the last note of a tie, and as discussed above there are workarounds to have articulations both at the first and last notes of a tie. This thread is over a year old, just thought I’d ask if an option has been created to have articulations on first and last notes of a tie, without a workaround?

In a word, no. And no current plans for such a thing, either.