Force reload of audio tracks from disk?

I’ve recently opened some old projects to find that some audio appears corrupted. Instead of a cello, for instance, I’ll hear silence occasionally sporadically by a deafening blast of white noise.

I assumed the track’s audio files had become corrupted on the disk somehow, but when I find and open the audio file in the project audio folder, it’s fine. Plays fine in Windows and when imported into the project, it plays fine in the track. I’ve tried this with a couple tracks and so far, the audio on the filesystem is fine.

So the problem really seems to be something with the project file or the project pool. Is there a way to force Cubase to refresh/reload all project audio from disk? These are large projects and it’ll be extremely time consuming to find and replace all these bits one at a time.

Only a suggestion, but when I’ve moved projects to a different place, Cubase has asked if I want to find - or want Cubase to try to find - the audio files. I’ve pointed Cubase to the first file asked for, and then its picked up all the rest. Worth a try?

That’s a great idea that deserved to work, but my first try didn’t do the trick. As I get time, I’ll try a few variations on it though, and maybe hit on one that works. Thanks!

Was there ever a solution to this? experiencing this myself.


Had a similar issue pop up recently and going in to re-edit everything was out of the question… Good news, however, is that I’ve found a way to do refresh it, if you have the original audio backed up somewhere.

OVERALL: Your copying the audio that works, with the same file name, into the folder that the Cubase project is pooling from. It’ll ask you to overwrite, click yes. Once you overwrite the media in that directory, you should open the project and see that the audio is recreating the image for the tracks, and viola!

If you don’t have it backed up, I’d suggest trying this: copying it out of the project folder, making sure it works, making sure the file names are the same, and copying it back in to overwrite the files. I luckily had the file backed up on another card so I just had to transfer them over into the “Audio” folder of my project.

Another important tip… I noticed that the files would be “corrupt” every time I would open the project to work on it again. Best thing to do in this case is to just fade out an un-important part of the track, bounce it (Audio - Bounce Selection) to create a new audio file within the pool and it’ll hold its integrity.