FR: Autosave is not working smart

Upon loading a Project, if Cubase detects an backup copy that has a newer time stamp, it will prompt the user to choose to load the newer backup copy or the older original Project file.

Perhaps not as good as what Logic offers, but at least there is that.

Upon loading a Project, if Cubase detects an backup copy that has a newer time stamp, it will prompt the user to choose to load the newer backup copy or the older original Project file.

Perhaps not as good as what Logic offers, but at least there is that.

I understand. The thing about the Logic AutoSave (and the Adobe stuff) is that it’s kind of instantaneous, in that what you get back (upon relaunch) is pretty much what you were working on the second before the program crashed. I’ve had this happen to me a number of times in Logic and I’m always amazed at what I get back from the recovery. I’ve never gotten that close with Cubase’s AutoSave feature. I’m just trying to describe the experience and reference it back to the OPs “working smart” portion of the thread’s title. Seriously, I’m certain there isn’t a single person reading this thread that would not prefer an AutoSave functionality that works in that fashion directly after a crash.

1 Like

I see.

+1 for improving Cubase’s auto-save to work more like what Adobe and Logic offer.

1 Like

Please do something about this. This is getting tiresome and I’ve lost in total probably 20 hours of work thanks to this behavior

That Logic instant Auto-save sounds interesting.

Anyway, just updating Auto-save so it saves after transport has stopped running, instead of just skipping the save, would be great.
Very simple but important update.

+1

Well, my autosave seems to randomly work. sometimes it doesn’t for a whole day, other times seems it to work and I’m not sure why.
My autosave interval is set at 5 mins.
I just did a test and left a project open for a few hours.
Then I did a small edit, and came back an hour later…still no .bac file.
And my version of Cubase is on a “frozen system” computer OS running cubase 6.5.5, so it’s a very old problem.
And also just to confirm, this is not with ‘playback’ running
I’m surprised that no one from Steinberg has seen these posts and suggested a fix.
Going to open a support ticket and see if they have any solution.

Ok so I just did the following on my mac osx 10.9.5 and autosave is now working again:

1. Go to Username/Library/Preferences/cubase
  2. I then deleted the file Defaults.xml
  3. Restarted
  4. Opened cubase and of course all my prefs had gone back to default, so I went to prefs settings in cubase and re-loaded my previously saved settings (if you never saved your prefs, you will need to set them all up again and this time make sure you save them)

Autosave is now working fine!
:sunglasses:

Apparently you can do the same in windows:
Windows
Close all programs.
Open the “Run” command prompt.
Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8: Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously. Windows XP: Select ‘Run’ from the Start menu.
In the command line of the ‘Run’ window, enter this path: %appdata%/Steinberg Locate the folder which is named the same as your Cubase/Nuendo version.

It’s worth digging up this gem comment from over 2 years ago.

If Cubase could have such a recovery cache with near second-to-crash recovery (like Logic, and Adobe titles), it would of course be super great.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been doing this since the days before “autosave” existed, but my reptilian complex is hard-wired to hit command S almost every time I do something significant in the program.
I don’t even know I did it half the time.

Also, before each work session I duplicate my project file so I have hard copies of the song at each session interval.
And I print a rough mix at the end of each work session.

I’ve never had to rely on a bak file.
And I’ve never seen it behave “randomly” or not at all fro an entire session.

That said Apple is trending towards the “always saved” model. Many Apple applications you simply open a document make some changes and close it. Don’t even need to formally quit. It quits for you.
That may be what they are deploying in Logic.
Not sure.

Either way, I’m not sure I like it. I like to feel as tough I still have control over some things.

At some point people need to take responsibility for their own work flow.
If you’ve done some important editing SAVE IT !!!

Just tried the left thumb and index finger version. Very awkward. :upside_down_face:

I have Auto-Save switched off as I get annoyed at the cursor doing the spinney wheel thing when I’m editing. I wouldn’t rely on a program to make saves in my projects. I always do it manually about 100 times a session. And then the project folder isn’t chock-a-block with .Bak files.

I would like to see Cubase with an independent location for backing up project files. There should be two different locations for saving.
CTRL/S = save in project folder
CTRL/SHIFT/S = save in backup folder.

My concerns are that the autosave overwrites files too quickly. What would work better IMO is that if it preserved to oldest .bak autosave(s).
I have never found it helpful to have the autosaves made in a constant timeline.
For example, an option to preserve the original .bak would be great. Or if it would preserve one .bak each day or something along those lines.
ty