FR: Autosave is not working smart

One picture says it all.

Autosave set to 2 min.

According to Cubase (10) I havn’t done anything important from 12.12 to 12:47.

Again from 12:47 till now (12:57) all I did was crap and didn’t deserved being autosaved.

Truth is - that for testing I just drev some midi parts, changed some presets and loaded some other presets.

If Cubase were to crash now all those changes would be lost.

From what I can tell, and I just tested it, autosave is somehow linked to playback. It seems if playback is not running, Cubase isn’t saving. It it also not saving WHILE running but it will save once stopped again.

Steinberg please explain how the autosave function works and fix it so Cubase autosaves when changing stuff.

Just think about all the stuff that can go wrong???

Hi,

Autosave is based on the specific interval. In the Preferences > General, you can change the interval. Default setup is 15 minutes.

Mine is set to 2 min - I edited my post to reflect that, maybe you posted before that.

just tested again. Nothing saved in 8 minutes though I just deleted some midi notes, duplicated some midi parts and events and other unimportant stuff

My thoughts on this (no testing, just my years of observation and the disappointment of loosing some edits)…

The autosave function seems to not save anything during recording or playback. That might be a good thing to prevent artifacts during those functions. But, the autosave clock seems to start over again after you record or playback anything. So during certain editing sessions (like when you do a few edits and do quick short playbacks to hear what what you just edited) this seems to cause huge amounts of time between auto saves. It would be better if the autosave clock would continue as set in preferences and, if past the set time in preferences, activate immediately after stopping the record or playback function.

Regards :sunglasses:

That’s exactly what I’ve found and I agree it should be acting like you describe

Yes this is indeed a problem. Autosave in C10 is also bizarrely unpredictable - I have mine set to intervals of 3 minutes, so technically my project folder should be full of .bak files - but after working on a film score for several hours, the external I was running the session off got disconnected accidentally rendering the project file corrupted, and when I went to look for .bak files there wasn’t a single one there. Cubase, for whatever reason, simply didn’t create a single backup file in all those hours of work. Had to do everything from scratch over again.

I just lost 5 hours of vocal editing due to the same problem so hoping for a fix really soon. I remember this happened a few times in earlier versions as well.

I also just lost 2 hours of mixing because of the this issue. Please fix it Steinberg…

+1
I made a part of my workflow ctrl+alt+S. Every change i make, i hit this combination. I cannot rely on the auto save feature and risk many hours of my work.
I end up a project with over 200 saves. :smiley:

I just lost 4 hours of editing because of this!

I only upgraded to V10 last week and was just thinking all good. Suddenly crashed on me and now this!

Extremely frustrating. May go back to 9.5

I hear your frustration.

Just an FYI… the “Autosave” function has not worked properly for many years now. So going back to 9.5 won’t help as it relates to it.

Of course if you are having other issues with V10 then, yes… working in CB 9.5 would help while you were figuring out why V10 is crashing on you. Many (including myself) think that V10 is the most stable yet. Maybe you want to start a new topic to see if someone can help you with your V10 crashing.

Regards :sunglasses:

It works as it’s designed, whether that equals “properly” is a mater of opinion, I suppose. But let’s be clear about what the issue is that people don’t like. That autosave doesn’t save while the transport is running.

IMHO, Auto-save works fine and does what it says it does in the OM.

In general:

Err on the side of Saving files more frequently rather than less.

Always Save after any edit that matters and will be kept.

Always Save before checking playback.

Don’t Save during playback. (Stop, Save, Continue)

I think it’s good practice to increment versions, “Save as New Version,” as you go along.

Auto-Save has saved me a few times and never gotten in the way. If I end up with a few *.bak files, no problem. Those can be deleted at some point.

1 Like

That’s my view as well. It would be nice to some built-in advanced options for saving, but external methods like autohotkey, keyboard maestro , or human left thumb and index finger tapping work… :wink:

It might work as designed but, it does not work like it is described in the manual. Meaning… no where in the operation manual does it list that autosave doesn’t save while the transport is running which may increase the autosave interval by a who knows what amount of time.

So technically that makes it most likely a bug… or an error in the OM. Either way… we are discussing it’s shortfalls here in the forum feature request section. Same section where it has been discussed for years and apparently where the concern has fallen on the deaf ears of those who can improve (fix) it.

Regards. :sunglasses:

How do other sequencers deal with autosave?

Logic Pro X has true background auto save. There is no need to set a save interval. It also doesn’t interrupt the user workflow during auto save or manual save.

No, you’re right. The OM should at least have some “Notes” about usage of auto-save. As far as I can determine, I have not had any problems as a result of Auto Save, per se. I have it set to the 15 minute interval which I think is the default.

All I can say is – as we all know – save early, save often. :slight_smile:

I’m quoting myself from another AutoSave related thread here:
“Logic indeed has a “save at crash” function that does work like a charm. I suspect they do something similar to what Adobe does with some of its titles. My guess is that like InDesign, (for example) Logic is constantly updating a duplicate of the project data in a recovery cache that’s memory protected from the host program. If a crash occurs, it dumps the cache into a recovery routine when the program is restarted.”

When restarted, Logic will immediately present a choice of launching from the backup cache or the last manually saved version. The Adobe products do the same thing. Nice touch.

And as Logic’s AutoSave function works in the same non-invasive and invisible fashion as the Adobe title’s autosave functionality, it stands to reason that the methodology is cross platform and not restricted to being an “Apple OSX only thing”.

1 Like