FR: Cycle regions

It would be great to have cycle regions for playback just like Cubase does. For example, when developing expression maps for violin I need to hear example sections over and over again while tweaking and experimenting. Using a musical repeat is limiting because as far as I can see the ‘play N times’ option maxes out at 50 - which is not all that many.

This FR would also imply have left and right end markers - and that would be great also.

5 Likes

Even just upping the repeat count limit to 500 would be quite helpful.

**Leigh

2 Likes

Dare I suggest this is an extreme edge case? Once you’ve set up your EM, how often would you expect to use the feature? Probably never. Implementing this sort of feature would, IMO, just lead to Dorico becoming bloated.

I don’t have the links but there are several requests on the forum for this. I’m not the only one. i think they use different terminology such as looping.

1 Like

I know. And I disagreed with them there too!

Very amusing! :slight_smile:

I’d like this too. Being able to specify a looped section is useful for practicing along with an unfamiliar passage, improvising over tricky meters, etc. That said, if I want to do it 200x instead of 50x it’s not really that hard to hit R a few times before adding the end repeat. At least for me it’s in the “would be nice” category, but I could think of about 50 other things I’d like to see implemented first.

2 Likes

I don’t know how anyone can surmise whether a particular feature adds bloat or not, but having a ‘cycle’ or ‘loop’ feature would be extremely useful when composing and orchestrating. It’s very tedious to have to keep selecting a bar or note or bar line every time you want to go back to a certain spot. I know you can add a repeat set up, but a straightforward ‘cycle’ function will be welcomed by many when it eventually arrives.

5 Likes

I would use it quite extensively, especially while auditioning the drawing of curves or trying things out while orchestrating.

Right now, I use “P” key command to trigger playback from selection. So, like a trained lab rat with a lever, I have to keep pressing it every time.

Unfortunately for me, any modification in the score or in the key editor resets the selection. This adds one more step to re-set playback point and I have to make the selection manually once again.

A cycle function is certainly not a one-off needless feature.

2 Likes

I can confirm I’ve seen a number of a other requests for a loop feature in the past and I’m pretty sure I made one myself. For me, it’s very handy to be able for work out harmonic combinations in particular by having a repeating pattern without the requirement to set a repeat in the score (far too tedious) or just processing P all the time to reset to the beginning of the selection (less tedious but does disturb the creative flow). I always used this for composing when Cubase was a regular tool.

2 Likes

Unless you are a sonic genius who hears and understands every detail in your head, testing of instrument choices, combinations, possible inversions, octaves, and articulations is crucial for composing. In addition to this VST instruments vary between library, and even within libraries. Many libraries these days provide multiple iterations of the same instrument. How am I going to know whether Horn 1 or Horn 2 is best for a particular line? Test. Listen, listen again and again.

For me, a cycle feature is not a trivial request.

3 Likes

Related to this is wanting the ability to step through all voices at once. Maybe I am missing something. I can step through one part and hear the playback but I cannot find a way to step through and hear all the parts at the same time.

I expect that this would create problems with percussion or with sections where there are multiple rhythmic subdivisions playing at the same time but it would be nice to be able to hear a section of a symphonic work - or even a choral piece - advancing one step at a time under your control so that you can more easily study the harmony.

Is such control possible? Thanks.

It’s not possible at the moment, but it’s something that we plan to add in future. It’s been discussed many times before, and is often referred to as “scrub playback”, since this is the name that is often used in other applications.

Thanks Daniel:

I wasn’t familiar with that term … I’ll check out the references.

David

Scrubbing is also used in video editors. In fact I suspect that is where the term originated.