[FR] Key Command: Trim Head/Tail to cursor

As the subject implies:
I’d love to see a key-command which trims the head or (tail) of a selected region to the cursor.

Niek/ Amsterdam.

Edit/Range/Crop

Fredo

Thanks Fredo,
I’m afraid cropping is not what I meant.

I’d like to have a KC which trims the start or end point of a region to the cursor. I do understand that this region needs enough “media” before its start point and/or beyond its end point.

Cropping only cuts parts before and beyond selection ranges, it doesn’t extend (trim) its start and end points to the cursor.

Thanks.
Niek/ Amsterdam.

Ok, I see.
We have Trim head and Trim Tail as standard Keys on our Nuage boards.
I don’t think these commands are accessible by KC or other.

Fredo

I’ve got the trim commands on my MC Pro too, but (unfortunately) it’s a “wheel command”, which doesn’t allow
to trim a regions’ head or tail to the cursor…it’s a “move left/right”-command only…

Thanks again…
Niek/ Amsterdam.

They are in there. I have them on A&S keys like they are assigned in PT.

Erik, I think he’s using the word “trim” a bit differently. Rather than placing your cursor ON a region in PT and pressing A, which then “trims” or “cuts” the front to that position, as far as I understand it he’s looking to extend the region (to the cursor location) when placing the cursor outside of a region.

As far as I know this can’t be done in either PT or Nuendo using only key commands.

he’s looking to extend the region (to the cursor location) when placing the cursor outside of a region.

Exactly.

Extending (trimming) the selection range to the cursor can be done in Nuendo, so why not implement extending (trimming) the regions’ borders (Head/Tail) to the cursor?

Niek/ Amsterdam

I think I had requested this for Nuendo 3. Can’t believe it is still not implemented.

To be “fair”, in all my years as a post engineer this is the first time I’ve seen or heard of this, including it being requested. Not that I wouldn’t use it, just saying it seems unusual enough to explain the low priority.

in all my years as a post engineer this is the first time I’ve seen or heard of this,

it seems unusual enough to explain the low priority

How, then, do you instruct Nuendo make a selection which is based on a “piece of an event you just “previewed” a moment ago”?
With other words; If you’re listening (previewing) to a piece of an event, wouldn’t it come handy to have the ability to insert an “in point” and an “out point”?
I know I can insert a left and a right locator “on the fly”, but sometimes I want them to be untouched.

Maybe I can learn from your workflow?
Niek/ Amsterdam.

Well you can ‘insert’ the left/right range ‘positions’ regardless of the locators. But I don’t see how this has anything to do with what you were requesting, unless I’m misunderstanding you. Because I can’t hear what isn’t there and the request was extending an event, right? So if I’m listening to this sentence I’m writing now, but it starts at “this sentence I’m writing”, then I can’t audition the beginning of it without it being extended already. So what you write above doesn’t make sense. I’d never preview a piece of an event without it being there and if it is then anything that results from previewing it won’t apply to extending it. It’d have to be already extended for me to review it. And at that point we already have the tools to trim (cut) it.

Am I misunderstanding your request?

Re-reading my post I must admit I’m not clear at all.

Eventually, I tried the CUT HEAD and CUT TAIL -key commands which I didn’t think of trying before (silly me), and they did exactly what I needed…Fredo already referred to these commands on his Nuage in some post…Although; these KC’s only work when the playhead is “inside” the borders of the event.
I do not have “my” solution for when the playhead is “outside” the borders of the event…

Sorry that I’ve been overlooking this all the time…but I’m glad I found my solution.
Thanks.

Niek/ Amsterdam.