FR: non-breaking spaces effective in Project Info fields

I wish I could put a non-breaking space between the copyright symbol and the first word following it so that the copyright symbol is not the last glyph on a line.

I prepare the copyright data in another (word processing) program and then copy-paste it into Dorico’s Project Info (Command-I) “Copyright” field. But the non-breaking space does not “stick.”

Does anyone else think it seems typographically inelegant to have a © “hanging” out at the end of a line?

Would this be a good enhancement?

Thanks,
Eric

In the Copyright field of Project Info, Dorico treats the Unicode no-break space (U+00A0) the same as a normal space. However, it treats the Unicode narrow no-break space (U+202F) as a non-breaking space. Use the narrow no-break space after the copyright symbol.

2 Likes

Thank you, @johnkprice. I’ll try that – probably tomorrow – and report back.
Eric

Thanks John, that’s something I had never noticed before… One or two U+202f short unbreakable spaces do the trick, but I’m really wondering why a “normal” unbreakable space does not work in that field. Is this something that has had to be programmed in, for some arcane reason? (That question would be for @dspreadbury, obviously)

I’ll report on my findings. (I wasted time by not trying to use U+202F directly in Dorico before I tried doing it in a word processor. My workflow has been to prepare the author/copyright data in another app and then paste it into Dorico.) Conclusion: U+202F works great to do what I want in Dorico’s Project Info Copyright field.

My odyssey:
I was struggling to use the character @johnkprice said would work. I wanted there to be some visible space between the © symbol and the word or date (series of digits) that follow it.

No matter what I tried, it seemed that the Unicode U+202F Narrow Non-Breaking Space character was so extremely narrow that even if you insert several of them you won’t see any space.

I was attempting to do it in the word processor Nisus Writer Pro. I used the Mac “Unicode Hex Input” method and it seemed as if the character was placed in the text based on how the cursor behaved. But I could not see anything that was inserted (I saw no distance whatsoever between the © and the following text). Then I tried inputting it several times, and I never saw anything. I have Show Invisibles turned on in Nisus Writer Pro, and the regular spaces have a little dot to show where they are, but I saw nothing for the U+202F space.

Next I tried to use Keyboard Maestro (still in Nisus Writer Pro). Here is the macro I created:
screenshot_2024-04-10_at_07.55.53_w500
It seemed like it did its thing: the string trigger was deleted; but I could not tell if anything was inserted.

Next I tried using the Keyboard Maestro method within Dorico 5. It worked brilliantly! (I’ll shorten the trigger string now that I know it works!)

Lesson learned: some word processors may not display the U+202F character visibly.

And actually some fonts do not have this character at all — which is a problem when you want to write French correctly as those short spaces are needed…

Confirmed: Academico does not have U+202F. And the text engine Qt uses doesn’t provide for fallback fonts.

Back to the original problem, Daniel @dspreadbury, is this a Qt issue that the non-breaking space does not work?

So… your copyright text is long enough that it breaks onto a new line after the © symbol?
Couldn’t you just add a Return before the © symbol…?

Or am I missing something?

1 Like

Yes, @benwiggy, there is some complexity in this project regarding the text with the © symbol. The author / copyright information is usually a long paragraph (written in prose) with data about the original work (date[s], author[s], composer[s], copyright[s]), and also the same information for the translation.

More than once I’ve seen the © symbol end up at the end of a line, but until I learned about U+202F, I had been unable to fix it.

Lazily, I have always pinched a non-breaking space from elsewhere in the project info and pasted it in after the copyright sign. Not too arduous.