FR: option-left/right arrow not leaving behind rest

I absolutely love the option left/right arrow feature, which is immensely useful. I only wish to have an option that would stretch out the ending note so that I don’t have to fill up the rest it left behind when things are moved. I know it’s easy enough to fill up the gap, but doing things in one single step makes the feature more complete in my opinion. Thanks.

You could record a macro of both actions in direct succession and maybe assign a shortcut to that?

But I absolutely wouldn’t want to conflate these two functions. When I move a note, I don’t expect its duration to change!!

Have you assigned “Extend duration to next note” (or whatever it’s called) to a key command? As klafkid said, easy to make it a macro.

1 Like

I find that it’s useful for arranging purpose. (It’s like dragging the beginning of a note in a piano roll, a very common thing to do in a sequencer.) I’m just proposing another extra option for doing things. I’m not trying to alter the original function in any way.

Of course I’ve assigned a short cut to “Extend duration to next note”. Well, my suggestion is just a little perspective from the arranging point of view.

Also there are certain difficulties to set a macro for that when I’m moving a bunch of notes around.

I don’t think I noticed this happening before, but if I move a bunch of notes rightwards they leave rests which aren’t automatically corrected to the standard arrangement - bar 207 here is in common time, but three crotchet rests are shown after the move:

I can’t reproduce this in a fresh file. I get the following…
move

As always a cut down sample file would be helpful.

Is the first rest an explicit rest and perhaps you forgot about it? Or did you have force duration on when you entered the other notes in that bar before changing their rhythmic position?

2 Likes

The passage was recently written, and - even though I’ve been using Dorico for a long time - I don’t know how to create explicit rests. But after reading your reply, I Ctrl-Zed back to the status quo ante, checking every note and rest. And yes - you are quite correct. When I clicked on the first of the crotchet rests, the ‘lock’ icon lit up in the left column. Now I’m always using the O command on notes, but I’ve never knowingly done so on rests; nevertheless I must have done so inadvertently in this case. I undid all the steps back to where the passage was input, but still couldn’t find out how that rest came to be locked. Anyhow, many thanks to you for drawing my attention to this.
(I now realise that I find ‘redo’ greyed out, and not having done the most basic and compulsory of all computer actions, namely saving the file before the undos, I now have to try and remember all the other work I did since inputting this little phrase! Serves me right.)

1 Like

It’s a heartbreak to lose progress like that, but to be expected when you made a change, unfortunately. In future, you can just click on the note or rest and see if the force duration button lights up, and if it does, un-tick it.

Quite so. I still wish I’d discovered how I came to lock that rest, though… :confused:

1 Like

Thanks, Craig.