[FR] Plugin sandboxing

Hi all,

I’ve been asking for this for years, a way to protect de DAW from plugin crashes The new Bitwing DAW will do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qwekCqQT-t8#!

It’s a great idea, well implemented.

Best,

Thanks for the link. I mentioned this many years ago as well. Bitwig have done a great job of implementing it. Mind you it’s much easier to do this as you’re building a new engine than modifying an existing one that was never designed to do this.

But it would be reassuring to know that your project won’t fall apart because of a rogue plugin. Maybe it’s time to redesign the engine. Again.

Odd coincidence: my N5-64 started crashing on startup very likely because of a plugin.

Wish I knew which one…

Why not make a bootable snapshot disk before you install the suspect plug-ins? There are plenty of incremental backup utilities around.

Oh yeah… Please…

+1

If you watch the video carefully, you can discover that every plugin has its own thread in the OS and it can be 32 o 64 bits. That’s a very intelligent way to do it. Steinberg did something similar with PPC plugs on a intel machine, but it did not work well.

Considering the number of piugins some of us like to experiment with, this wouldn’t be a very efficient methodology. And certainly not as quick as the host telling you a plugin crashed, identifying the plugin in the process and making it possible to continue working without other consequence.