FR: Preserve accidental visibility overrides under octave transposition

See the title, essentially. This is something I encounter regularly when transcribing orchestral music, whenever there’s a line in multiple octaves which requires some extra, manually-set cautionary accidentals.

4 Likes

Can you provide a little more information, Hugo? Under what circumstances are you finding the accidentals are not shown? Are you using Cmd+Alt+up arrow, or Write > Transpose, or something else?

Sure, I’ll illustrate with a simple, hypothetical use case. Say there’s this line which the cellos and basses play in octaves—a very common occurrence. I enter it in the cello part:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-05-22 om 11.49.27

There’s no setting to automatically add a cautionary to the F in bar 5, so I select that note and hit 0 to add one. Then I select the whole thing and Duplicate to Staff Below using my own shortcut, OptShiftM. At this point, the cautionary on the F is still there. But the bass part needs to be an octave lower, so it’s CmdOptDown to get this:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-05-22 om 11.49.54

…and now I have to remember to re-add the cautionary.

3 Likes

Thanks, I understand. I’ll make a note of this and look into it when I get the chance.

2 Likes

And of course, when the staves are adjacent like this it’s easy to compare the two. Less so with e.g. a violin line copied to piccolo (8va) and glockenspiel (15ma)—those staves can be miles apart.

Would an alternative be to allow cautionaries beyond a single bar?

1 Like

That’s also an interesting idea, which would take away a majority of the ‘problem’. However, with things like augmented intervals or cross-relations, you’ll still need some manual cautionaries from time to time.

I’d love this as an option. For example, Finale has the “reset after” setting where you can specify the range to consider cautionaries:

Additionally, it would be great to have a setting to consider a multibar rest as a single bar in combination with a range setting for things like this, which of course must be manually added now:

(Finale’s “Courtesy naturals” is really mis-named. It functions as adding a courtesy to any deviation from the key sig, not just naturals. If I’m in D major and have an F natural, it will add a courtesy # to an F# two bars later with that setting.)

1 Like