Frame Break Issue

Hi all,

I’m trying to right indent the first system of a flow (which is meant to have one bar in it), and I’m trying to use frame breaks to do it in all in one flow, which is giving me some confusing results. I can work around by using separate flows, which has some other benefits, so it’s fine, but I want to document the behavior I’m seeing.

For context: this is a piece for solo multi-percussionist. I’ve set up the project with 5 different ‘players’ (one for each instrument) instead of one, mostly to allow me to make simpler flows if I do have to split up the piece into different flows.

When I make the frame for the first bar in the flow, I can’t seem to convince it that the correct number of systems to put in the frame is 1. I would expect to be able to do this by limiting the height of the frame, but whatever height I give it, the frame produces two systems, often with the second going below the bottom of the frame (which allows collisions with the frame below). I’ve attached a screenshot (it doesn’t show the collisions or the shortened frame, apologies; I can re-make that if desired).

I would expect that at this point frame breaks would come to my rescue. But when I insert the frame break I don’t get my expected behavior (the second bar going down to the next frame). I get the first bar disappearing out of the first frame entirely. The two bars do use different instruments, but apart from that I can’t figure out why this is happening. Trying to use the “make into one system/frame” options doesn’t seem to help either. I’ve attached a screenshot of this as well.

What I did get to work was making a different flow for just the first bar, allowing frames to pick up the next flow on the same page, and just letting Dorico’s automatic handling of a tailing bar at the end of a flow handle my right indent. This is a functioning workaround. I’ve attached a screenshot of this as well, including the measure numbers starting over at each new flow.

If I’m missing how to make frame breaks do what I want them to do, I’d be grateful for advice. If this is helpful documentation of a behavior, I’m glad it’s useful. Either way - thanks for both the advice and the great software.

I’m not entirely sure I understand your setup, but wouldn’t it at least be easier if you set up 1 Player playing 5 instruments…?

Yeah - that’s a thing i haven’t tried yet to resolve this, but may or may not impact the frame break behavior.

I set it up that way just so I’d be able to toggle instruments on and off in different flows (the music tends to focus on one or two at a time) so that the galley view would be cleaner. I’m not sure I’d actually gain anything by using a single player set up, since there won’t be parts for this piece at all.

Here are some possibly better screenshots to explain where I am. I tried doing a test with multiple instruments assigned to one player, to see if the same issues were cropping up, and they are. It is after a point a matter of style as much as anything else, I’m just not sure that the frame break in particular should be behaving this way.

Seems to be a bug with the one-line staff causing this… it’s straight forward if you use 5 line staves for all instruments…

Good catch - that did it.

All unpitched percussion notation is gonna be on 5 lines for now, then, even if I just need one line for that instrument. Score is still going to work fine, and I can avoid the really odd multi-flow workaround I was playing with.

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 8.35.50 AM.png