French keyboard layout shortcuts for Jump missing

Dear (magnificent) team, dear fellow Doricians,

I’m in the process of testing my keyboard shortcuts — every new version comes with great new features that can be triggered by keycommands, but those new commands could share already existing shortcuts, hence the need to change those.
I discovered that the context kJump section does not exist in the keycommands_fr.json file contained inside the Dorico4 app. I copied it from the original _en version and added to my own keycommands file. There’s no way I can make it work. So far, I have tried “Meta+Ctrl+&”, “Meta+&”, “Alt+&” and the same with é in place of & for Go to, and it never works. Of course, I have checked that none of those commands were already in use (and they were not, which makes me think there must be something wrong with those combinations…)
If anybody has a clue, I’d be glad to test it!

Quick update: there is something wrong with & and é. I tried with Num1 and Num2 and it works. I hope I’ll find a way to use & and é, since those are the keys that English keyboard uses as 1 and 2… I cannot use Num1 on my macbook pro without my bluetooth keyboard.

No, unfortunately you can’t actually use those commands – they are effectively vestigial and relate to an earlier way I had implemented the jump bar earlier in Dorico 4 development. They should be removed from the factory key commands file, which I will do.

At the moment, at least, you have to use Ctrl+1 and Ctrl+2 on Mac and Alt+C/ Alt+G to switch between the modes of the jump bar. (Though I admit I don’t know what the Windows shortcuts will be in languages other than English, because they will depend on what the translators have chosen as the accelerator key for the buttons.)

I’m sorry, Daniel, I know you’re busy, so this is not urgent at all, but I don’t understand what you mean. Which commands can’t I actually use? It turns out that the context kJump commands do work if I choose something else than & or é, and I don’t think you have anything to do with the way those two keys are used in the French keyboard layout on a mac… I probably had noticed (when making the Notation Express porting over French layout for Mac) that I couldn’t use those keys, since… they’re not used in my keycommands_fr.json file (and I remember how hard it was to find unused working combinations for some commands). I simply didn’t remember there was this problem (I remember I had problems with Fn keys and a meta-key).
It’s totally reasonable for you not to know every local key-mapping problem. I am simply writing this here for the sake of fellow French mac users that might stumble upon that problem. And I suppose every local layout has its particularities.
I will try and dig to understand why we have this problem and whether it can be corrected (to me, it looks more like a MacOS problem). I’ll come back here when I have more information about it.

Any chance this might be changed to simple ‘tab’ in the future? It would be lovely to just tab back and forth between the two rather than having to remember additional key commands.

2 Likes

No, we already use Tab in the context of the jump bar to repopulate the line edit with the last-used command, so that you can then either hit Return or use the up/down arrow keys to choose between the five most frequently-used commands.

Here’s some news about the weird behavior I find with keycommands.
When I’m hired like a Dorico consultant for my fellow French Doricians, it’s quite logical that I try and change the language of Dorico to French, in order to see what they see — I usually use Dorico in English, because I got used to it.
As many of you probably know, I’ve changed my shortcuts for increasing/decreasing rhythmic grid resolution to the buttons that do 1 and 2. Except that on a French keyboard layout, you have to press shift to have those numbers, and this is a major PITA for whoever wants speed. That’s why I’ve chosen & and É.
1 is for accent, 2 for staccato (and so on with the different articulations).

Here’s the reproductible scenario. Change Language in the preferences to French. Everything still working good. Change back to English to go on your normal life… there’s the hitch.
Now, here’s what decrease resolution is set to :

And accent :

I have to clean this mess in order to get my keyboard shortcuts back to work.

I’ve noticed that the space bar does not work either when I’ve changed back to english. And in fact, every articulation has both the default key (which I don’t want) and the new (which is not working because it’s used for note length, which I have modified too in order not to have to press shift).
Why is Dorico changing my keycommands_fr.json file ? I find this is totally wrong.

There are some problems with how Dorico behaves when you change application language while the program is running. We’ve fixed these up now, and things should behave more sensibly in the next major version, when it arrives later in the year.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel. This is great news. Especially because I find Dorico in French to be quite comfortable now (even the jump bar is as cool as in English) and I think I will like to use it more in French. Congrats!