From Acid Pro 7 to Cubase Pro 9.5

For those interested in the thread, please vote on the Feature Requests below:

Mouse Wheel in Key Commands (to assign the MW everywhere)

Pain tool: draw last clip (or at least, draw something, not just an empty clip…)

Cubase Pro GUI: Tabbed Interface, Dockable Windows, Fully Vector UI

you do realise acid pro 8 has been announced with full 64 bit? I mean if the OP loves it that much and only leaving cause it’s an old app, Magix have committed to it’s future in an unexpected move.

Yeah, and they are pushing it hard. Very cheap to get in. There’s a veritable explosion of DAWs happening these past couple of years- Bitwig, now Acid, and Sonar getting new leases on life.

It seems to me that the way forward is more specialization in DAWs, and less imitation and copying features between them. In any case, it’s good for us the users.

@TNM

• Yes! AP8 is coming in a couple months indeed :slight_smile: — but please do realize they have 7 years of updates to catch up.
  • Also, I’d love to have 1 DAW to rule them all, but sometimes I just need Acid Pro to chop samples (it’s blazing fast).
    I’m not the only one using multiple DAWs. Lots of A-List artists use 2 DAWs to make it happen, to name a few: DeadMou5 uses both Cubase and Live, Daft Punk use both Logic Pro and Live, Stromae use both Reason and Logic Pro (etc… You name it).

@-steve-

• Agree 100%, our generation is blessed with 12 amazing professional DAWs.
  • More specialization, yes. But again, all these feature requests I’m talking about are about basic “standardized” workflows that can be found everywhere, even in the Design & A/V software landscape.

To @Everyone, Cubase inspired itself MANY times from other DAW’s UI. And it’s always been highly appreciated by both legacy, refugees, switchers, and new users.
A few examples :

• In-Place Midi Editing: Acid Pro
  • The right Sidebar Shortcuts: Studio One
  • The “Lower Zone”: Sonar
  • The Rounded corners UI : Ableton Live

I personnaly think infusing the “best of” from the competition (and improving it) is a form of innovation.

Looks like you got most of the answers.

GUI windows - designed for multi-display arrays. The idea of one screen holding everything only really applies to a smaller and smaller audience now. Project window needs to be placed on any screen and not restricted to a ‘main’ display. At least that’s my view on the subject.

Plugin arranging - you can move plugins anywhere for ages now. No need for mousewheel, I find that method to be worse IMHO. You should get adjusted quite easily.

Draw tool to ‘draw’. I like this idea, I don’t like the current implementation of ‘draw’, particularly in audio editor. It apparantly does nothing useful there.

Hello @Beerbong,

You’re right, I was given workarounds for most of the workflow nonsenses I stumbled upon. People here have been very helpful indeed :slight_smile:
Yes, this “draw clip” request is starting to make sense to everyone since I described it more precisely. I’m happy it’s getting more +1s than before.