Front-Rear Pan Law not being obeyed?

I’m mixing a 7.1 (side surround ie what Nuendo calls “Music”) project and something is off with the front-to-rear pan law. I currently don’t have my surround speakers set up as I’m doing the stereo mix first, so I’m monitoring off a stereo downmix bus with the Mixconvert 6.0 plugin that is inserted in the panner by default. (The bus is 7.1 input to 2.0 output).

My left/right pan law obeys the project setting (equal power) so moving objects left to right results in consistent volume across the stereo sound stage as expected. However, when i place a sound midway between say front/side or side/rear I am getting a 3dB level bump compared to if it’s only in the fronts, or sides, or rears. Positioning a sound at a single speaker or midway left-right between a pair of speakers gives me the correct level. So left-right pan law is ok, but front-rear seems to be using a 0dB pan law so the sound gets louder when panned to a position between the speakers.
Moving a sound from surrounds to fronts over time thus causes inconsistent volume changes which is unacceptable, and not what I’m used to in Pro Tools. Doesn’t matter what downmix levels I set for surrounds in mixconvert (0dB, -3dB, -6dB) I still get the level increase when in a midway position.

Any ideas?

(After setting up my surround speakers I will test whether this is occurring in the 7.1 soundfield or in the MixConvert Plugin)

Unless I am terrebly mistaling, Pan law does not come into play in Surround Mixing.

Make sure you set the Mixconvert values correctly.
For smooth front/rear panning, the sides and rears must be set to -3dB.

And it also depends if you are mixing for theatre or for DVD/TV.
Theatre has the rears set @ -3dB (85dB front, 82dB side and rears), while for DVD or TV, the rears are equaly calibrated to the fronts. 79dB for all speakers.

HTH
Fredo

If you leave aside the 82/85 difference for cinema speakers I always thought that the general rule with pan laws was: power in = power out, so
something equally split to two speaker = -3dB in each speaker
something equally split to four speakers = -6dB in each speaker
and so on.

On Cubase which is in front of me now that is what happens:
If I make a quad group and send tone at 0dB to one speaker I get 0dB in that speaker
Pan to midway between front L and front R of that quad group I get -3dB in each
Pan to midway between front L and rear L of that quad group I get -3dB in each
Pan to the middle of all four speakers in that quad group and I get -6dB in each

With 6 channel outputs (e.g. 6.0 cine) equal levels in all channels gives me -7.8dB in each, which is still equal power.

Cheers
Periwinkle