Frontier tranzport in cubase 11, win10

Just upgraded my computer and frontier tranzport will not work, although it has 64 bit driver and installed OK. DLL was placed in components folder. When pressing buttons on tranzport cubase shows blinking button at the bottom of the screen so I feel like it is recognizing something . However, no transport controls seem to work. I figure it’s a long shot, but maybe someone has experience with this. If so, please let me know!

In “Studio | Studio Setup”, have you installed the device and set the MIDI input and output?
I have a Frontier AlphaTrack and it’s still working fine.

Thank you sir. I will check that out. I just got Cubase after decades of using Sonar so I’m still getting my sea legs. They are not as similar as you would think. But I can see right away that Cubase is another level of quality above and will ultimately be more intuitive.
( A few hours later) Mr. Soundman! You get the gold star! That fix worked perfectly! For others that are trying to do this I would just mention that you need to download the 64 bit driver from the mothballed frontier site. Also, you’ll need to run the installer in compatibility mode. It will not install successfully in Win10 without doing this.

I just saw this post and was hopeful but could get the Tranzport file to install. just said couldn’t install on this version of windows and I couldn’t figure out how to install it in compatibility mode? Any help is appreciated.

… and what version of Windows would that be?

Oops, Windows 10

I should also clarify that I was trying to install the latest version off their , Frontier’s, site not from my disc, which I tried doing a long time ago.

I don’t have the Tranzport, but to run the installer in compatibility mode, right-click and select Properties, then select the options below:

1 Like

I can’t remember how I got it working, but it does indeed work. I also am using Windows 10. So there is a way.

I seem to recall that I couldn’t get the driver to install but I accidentally hit a button on the Tranzport and found that it was working. Whatever the case, is has been working OK for about 9 months now.

Yes, I got it working by using the latest drivers and version and using Windows 7 compatibilty. Yeah!!! Thanks!!!

Well, it was a half of a success, since getting the Tranzport to work, now my BCF2000 controller isn’t working right. Both are using a Mackie Control (and Mackie Control2). Is it possible to use both at same time without conflict. I know I used to with an older version. Why is it so hard for poop to just work.

If the Tranzport is like the AlphaTrack, you should have a control in the system tray (bottom right), which, if you right-click on it, should allow you to change the Transport to use “native” mode, which works perfectly with Cubase. If you’ve already set up the Tranzport as a Mackie emulation in Cubase, you’ll need to delete that and set it up as an actual Tranzport.

Ok, so it’s set up in the tray as native mode. Does that mean I don’t need to add it as a Mackie Control in Cubase?

Ok, got it resolved. Had to set up the Tranzport as Pro Tools (HUI) in the system tray, then add a Mackie HUI in the Studio setup.

Well it just so happens that I have a BCF2000 and also the tranzport controller. I’m not in the studio right now, but as I recall I found it best to NOT use the Mackie emulation mode on the BCF2000. If you search this forum for BCF2000 MIDI mapping you should find a map that I uploaded that has many useful functions. The two work great together and I was very pleased to get the transport functions as well as the knobs, buttons, and sliders of the BCF assigned to functions and also be able to use them for automating VST and VSTi functions without using a mouse. So hopefully you can find that map. If not we’ll figure something out. It took me a long time to get things working and figured out, but the end result was satisfying. John

1 Like

Cool!!! I’ll look into that. For the most part I only use the BCF2000 for levels and pans and maybe some automation, which all seem to work well this way and the Tranzport gives me the ability to record enable and all other regular transport options, my main thing was not having to go to the other room to hit record from the live room.

I have attached a pdf graphic that shows which functions are mapped to which knobs, buttons, and sliders in the BCF2000. You’ll notice that one of the push knobs is missing an assignment. That is because I had a button go bad. But yours is probably OK and could be assigned to something. Please note that there are 43 assignments. So there is plenty to control. If I’m not mistaken, there are four banks on the BCF and each one could be set up like this. So in total you could theoretically have 176 assignments. But that is overkill for me. I have a hard enough time remembering the ones I show in this pdf. I just keep a window open with that graphic so I can easily refer to it. You’ll notice the mapping has a lot of commonly used functions such as read/write automation, 8 quick controls, shift mixer bank left or right, remove selected track, add instrument, add audio track, undo, transport controls etc. FF and rewind go fast or slow depending upon whether you press once or twice. Note: you have to look in the BCF documentation to figure out how to take the transport buttons out of latch mode. Behringer does not get an A plus for making the docs understandable. John

Note: I’ve changed the mapping a little since I made this map. For example, I put a “return to project start” function in there. I’d like to see a video about the enhancements made in the recent Cubase update to the MIDI remote mapper. Are you listening Dom?

behringer-BCF2000-cubase12-mapping.pdf (20.4 KB)

I have attached the BCF2000 mapping. I hope it works for you! I’ve never tried to load a script in. I think that you have to have the unit plugged in and turned on for Cubase to sense it.

behringer-BCF2000-may20-2022.midiremote (7.36 KB)