Frustrated with Tempo Detection - Help Please!

Hi all,

I’m at my wit’s end with Tempo detection.
All I want to do is to:

1. Record an Acoustic Guitar (Audio) and an E-Drum Kit (MIDI)
  2. Run Tempo Detection on either track and see which result fits better, and whose timing was better to capture the mood of the song.

That’s it.
Can someone please give me some pointers on how to do this?

My tracks are on Musical Timebase and not in Musical Mode. After I invoke the function on either track, it works reasonably well, but if I’m trying to correct while the panel is still open, I drag with the metronome icon, but edits don’t stick.
I expect tobe able to pull the beats to the correct position in the waveform or MIDI event, and the function to then reanalyze the tempo in the indicated direction…
That never happens.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? It’s maddening, because I know the function is designed to do exactly what my example indicates…

Thx so much,
Benji

Hi!

I’ve still not gotten further concerning my tempo detection woes, but at least I now have a nice GIF to illustrate the problem:
Warp Tempo Problem.gif
Here’s what I’ve done:

1. Switched a mono audio channel to Linear timebase (just out of precaution)
  2. Recorded some guitar with an accelerating tempo
  3. Ran Tempo detection
  4. started correcting the first point in the tempo map that was off

As you can see, the correction doesn’t stick and creates random, closely spaced tempo points a few beats after where I corrected. This happens after the “Divide by Two” function is applied.

Any ideas?

Thx,
Benji

And additionally, please:

If I’m not happy with the result of any of the above, and I want to get rid of the Tempo Track, how do I do that?
Removing the Tempo Track from the track list (=deleting the Tempo track!) does apparently not get rid of it, since the detected Tempo points still show in the Metronome indicator at the bottom.
It is weird…
Anybody?

Cheers,
Benji