Frustration with piano reduction

Hi,

I am trying to create a piano reduction from an orchestral score and use the aggregating function (Paste Special > Reduce). However, as I go through the score chunk by chunk and paste the stuff into the piano score, a lot of superfluous whole rests are created and it is very frustating to get rid of them.

So my question is, what is the best workflow for creating such a piano reduction without having to take care of all the rests?

Thanks

As always, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Are you selecting empty staves as a part of your copy procedure? IE- are you asking Dorico to also consolidate rests as a part of the reduction? Or are you selecting notes only and merely getting superfluous rests?

Also, assign a jump bar alias of ‘rr’ for “remove rests” and removing rests becomes very quick.

It’s likely to be a question of voices – Dorico will consolidate music into as few voices as needed when reducing, depending on their rhythms. If you can select material that’s in rhythmic unison separately from polyrhythmic sections, you’ll probably end up with fewer active voices in the piano reduction.

Once you’ve tidied up the voices you want in your reduction (as realistically there’s likely to be come manual and subjective intervention required), you can save, close, and re-open the project: Dorico tidies up (read: deletes) unused voices when you do so.