"Full Score" Layout vs "Part" Layout

I’m a bit confused by the definition of “Full Score” layout and “Part” layout. Even though you can assign / remove players from both types, they seem to be distinct (in icon, page color is preview).

Specifically I’m interested in this setting:

I have a full score layout, and layout with only vocal parts (could include more than one singer). In the full score I want the chord to appear only for the piano, and in the vocal only layout I want the chords to appear once above the top staff (note singer staffs could be hidden due to being empty). Do I have to have my vocal only layout be a “part” layout to accomplish this? Can this even be accomplished?

I initially created this layout as “part” layout, but noticed most of the settings (including the page templates) were reset to default, and I couldn’t find an easy way of copying all settings properly and have it behave the same, so I ended duplication my full score and changing it. Is there a way to change its type to “Part” while preserving all settings?

I realize this question might be too specific, but I wasn’t sure of what’s the general way to ask it, as I realize the solution to my specific problem might be different than what I imagine.

“Full Score” means any layout that you created as a score and “Part” means any layout that you created as a part. You can have whatever combination of Players you choose in either of them e.g. you could have a Part layout with every Player in it and you could even have a Full Score layout that has only one Player in it. The difference between both is basically to do with default settings e.g. a Full Score will automatically contain all flows and players upon creation. You can’t convert one to the other.

In Layout Options>Chord Symbols and Diagrams>Show Chord Symbols, you can chose to have chord symbols appear “Above the top staff of system” or above “specific players”. These settings are Layout-specific.

If you choose “above specific players” then the chord symbol settings for each player (the settings in your screenshot) will decide which Players have chord symbols visible.

• First of all, in Layout Options, chose the setting you want for each Layout: “Above specific players” for your Full Score Layout and “Above top staff of system” in your Part Layout.

• Secondly, decide which players should have chord symbols showing in your score (as “Above specific players” is selected). In your case, you would have the Piano player set to “Show in Full Score Only” or “Show in Full Score or Parts”.

• Regarding the vocal-player-only layout: as your Layout Options would be set to “show chords above top staff of system”, the only setting for those Players that matters is that chord symbols are not set to “Show in Full Score” or “Show in Full Score and Parts” (as you don’t want them showing in the Full Score layout).

I hope this is reasonably clear!!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the details response.

It turns out that I was missing the fact that I need to make sure “Show for all instruments” is checked as well.

However, since it seems like I am forced to create a new (part) layout, I encountered a lot of new strange issues that are a result of this difference between “full score” and “part” layout.

1. I was unable to copy the previous layout settings, as I want them to be almost the same. Using “save as defaults” and “reset to saved defaults” didn’t work because it seems like there are different default settings. Is there a way to do it?
  2. My page templates got very distorted. I wanted to use the same page template for both, but if I select my “default full score” template, they don’t appear correctly.

Here’s how they appear (correctly) in the “full score” layout:

And here’s how they appear with the “part” layout:

The sizes seem to be distorted, and the usage of {@flowtitle@} token is completely unrecognized.

It’s really weird that I need to go though all of this extra effort and issues just so I can have chords in my “vocals only” layout.

Please let me know if there is something/s that I’m missing and can help make this easier.

See here:

Attaching your project for investigation is probably the only way we can answer this.

1 Like

Out of interest, did you edit your Text Frames directly on the page, or did you edit the template in the Page Template Editor?

1. Seems like the “propagate part formatting” only applies to part. I want to copy layout options from my “full layout” to my “part”. Is there a way of doing it?
  2. I created a reduced version of my project here: (the problem reproduces)

page template issue.dorico (2.1 MB)

When setting layout options, make sure you select the correct layouts (on the right of the dialog) to apply the settings to.

• You have different page sizes: Layout Options>Page Setup>Page Size
  • Make sure your Page Margins are the same: Layout Options>Page Setup>Page Margins
  • You have Flow Heading differences in the layouts: make sure Vocals Only is set to Off in Layout Options>Page Setup>Flows>Show Flow Headings
  • In Print mode, the margins will look weird because there are different settings in the Right zone: make them the same

Use the Library Manager to compare/copy the settings from one to the other.

Are you actually asking how to copy the design of the Default Full Score Page Template to the Default Part one?

OK thanks, I was able to fix the page templates issue by aligning on page size and margins.

Seems like it all comes down to creating a part layout that has the same layout options as the full score layout (which I struggled with). It would have been nicer if it was possible to change a “Full Score” layout to a “Part” one (or if there was difference at all), since it seems like a lot of work for such a small tweak (customizing appearance of chords symbols)

I just checked out the Library Manager as you suggested and it looks amazing! I was able to copy all Layout Settings in seconds. I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

Are you actually asking how to copy the design of the Default Full Score Page Template to the Default Part one?

No, I just set both to “Default Full Score”, as I was not planning on customizing it. But since you mention it - if I wanted to copy my existing template and customize it further only for part layouts - would that be possible?

You would need to first duplicate the Default Full Score page template and rename to Default Part (deleting the current Default Part template beforehand). This to ensure they are identical to begin with.

Then, you need to set the Vocals Only layout to use that page template. Any further changes you make will then only change the parts that use the Default Part template.

NB
I have a feeling that Dorico needs to store its default “Default Part” page template somewhere and so I think it will still use that page template when creating new projects - not the one you’ve just made.

Someone feel free to correct me!

1 Like

The frames are distorted because of a discrepancy in page sizes, and due to the frame constraints set on the distorted frames.

Information about frame constraints is here:

This discussion brings to mind a question I have from time to time. If you’re writing a piece for piano solo, is it better to use a full score layout, or a part layout?

I’m pretty sure the answer is full score, but I wonder if there advantages of one over the other for a solo instrument.

If you’re working with default settings, the only relevant difference is the presence of the {@layoutname@} token at the top of each page template.

2 Likes