full score vs. parts

is this correct and intentional?

1. changing the enharmonic spelling in a part does not affect the full score
  2. changing the actual pitch of a note does affect the full score
  3. adding a text to a part does not affect the full score

all of which is good, just checking
any other comments or insights regarding the relationship between full score and parts?

1. can I break multi-bar rests in a part?
    OK, I see I can do that, but will it be possible (eventually?) to set a minimum? for example, if there are more than 2 or 3 bars of rests, then I’d like to see a multi-bar rest

Points 1 and 2 are certainly correct, but point 3 I’m a bit puzzled by: if you add a text item in one layout, it will appear in all layouts in which the staff to which that text item is attached appears. The exception would be if you add a text frame rather than simply using Shift+X to add text within a music frame: a text frame is specific only to the layout in which it’s created.

You can’t manually break a multi-bar rest at present, but I expect we will have options for this in the future.

You can’t manually break a multi-bar rest at present

Not individually, apparently. But I did change something, somewhere to not create multi-bar rests at all. Except … now I can’t remember what I did … no matter which options I look for, I can’t find that setting anymore - where is it? (and the documentation has no info regarding multi-bar nor multi-measure rests)

got it! Setup > Layout Option > Players > choose instrument > Bar rest and Multi-bar rests
Not the most obvious place perhaps, but I guess there’s a certain logic to it

It should definitely be possible to add text in a part and not having it appear in the score. For instance the common instruction “V.S” (turn page quickly) and text cues below the staff such as (ob., clar.,vla.) have no meaning in other layouts. I know they can be dragged off the page to hide them where not needed, but …

It should definitely be possible to add text in a part and not having it appear in the score

I agree for, as you say, certain items, that would be a good feature

as for

I’m a bit puzzled by: if you add a text item in one layout, it will appear in all layouts in which the staff to which that text item is attached appears. The exception would be if you add a text frame rather than simply using Shift+X to add text within a music frame

I had only tried adding some text in text frame, not by Shift-X - so all that’s indeed correct as Daniel says.

For the avoidance of doubt: I didn’t say that it wasn’t important that you should be able to add text in a part that doesn’t appear in the full score, only that you can’t currently do so in Dorico.