Fun with Dorico: adding audio FX with Dorico and a sampler

For anyone interested, I’d like to share my approach to embedding audio files into Dorico. I use the Unify plug-in as a sampler to load multiple layers of its Audio File Player, each with a different audio file loaded with formats such as .mp3 or .wav. I map each layer to a different note on a piano keyboard. The notes allocated to each layer in Unify are used in Dorico to start and stop the playing of an audio file. Potentially I could load at least 88 different audio clips, and even more if I were to specify velocity levels for each key. That’s many more than I would ever need. I then map Unify macro knobs to CC values that are transmitted by Dorico, and set them up to control the Unify master channel ( I could assign the macro knobs to each layer individually if I desired, but there are a maximum of 32 knob assignments).

Why does this help me? It allows me to add all kinds of special effects and backing audio into my Dorico projects. For example, in the short, crude example I’ve attached. I have added three royalty-free audio FX: an orchestra tuning its instruments, an audience applauding, and Johannes Brahms speaking. After the FX are over, I could add my Dorico transcription of the Brahms concerto. I might add a coughing clip between movements! By the way, I play the FX consecutively, but I could just as easily overlap the start/stop points by positioning the control notes differently and drawing new CC curves.

Most likely lots of folks have their own tips with samplers to play stems and other audio backing tracks, using plug-ins such as Unify, TX16WX, etc. It does open up a world of opportunity for some of us. This is my second Fun with Dorico post. I hope you are having fun too!

Sorry for the poor video quality but I can’t attach anything over 4MB.

1 Like

I can’t believe I’m the first like on your post, and it took me half a year to get here! I’ve been looking for a solution like this for bringing multiple audio files into Dorico. I’ll check out your method. Thanks!